1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lounge seems to have become a 'safe area'.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

We have safe subjects. Where is the controversy about events? We used to be bold but now it seems that everyone is not prepared to express personal views on devisive issues.
    A quick look through the pretty safe BBC website offers plenty of subjects. But it seems that no-one dare discuss them here; here used to be like the bar of a liberal 'out of London' pub.

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Start us then ... .)

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

If it's a "safe area" it's only because some people are afraid of rigorous debate. Usually, the ones who are most afraid are either supporters of the status quo or frankly deranged supporters of crackpot theories.

Cheers,

R.

4. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I quite enjoy a debate but I don't much now because my hands are to effing sore for prolonged typing.

5. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I have enough grief in my real life to carry it over to this site. I spent most of last week arguing with some fool that there are cancer cures out there, it's just that the medical world doesn't what people to know about the cheap alternatives. Having talked the hind leg off a donkey, there was no way he could be convinced that Hemp Oil & Vitamin C ,to name but two, weren't miracle cures. I even related how a relative of mine had been ingesting Hemp oil to cure stage 4 lung cancer and had to stop, because the the oil was making so ill it was putting his life in danger - nope, his C Consultant was covering up and telling lies.

So to conclude.... I'm not going there on this site regards cancer, or any other subject come to that...

Catriona likes this.
  6. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Well, we have had what would have been debates if some people hadn't (what seemed to me) just ended up squabbling with each other ...

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Having debated two referendums in this house, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that most people make up their minds from gut reactions and are incredibly hard to persuade to change their minds...so what's the point. I had two friends (yes had) who now won't speak to each other because one was adamant Scottish Independence was the way to go, the only way to go and refused to even consider that their might be downsides. The other thought Scottish Independece would be a disaster, cause the whole country to fall into the sea and that Alex Salmond was probably worse than Gaddaffi. Debates raged. Arguments nearly came to fisticuffs. All of which only served to entrench their existing beliefs and they both went off and voted the way they'd always intended. I was exhausted. I don't feel like I want to engage in the same when I get here!

willie45 likes this.
  8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Whatever we start debating, you can bet your life it will end up with Brexit!

9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Why is everyone avoiding the elephant in the room - apart from 'Footloose'. The answer is easy - it's because there are a few (I really mean a few) members who rapidly become abusive and then the 'debate' turns unpleasant.

MickLL

RogerMac, Geren and Catriona like this.
  10. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Safe? The Lounge?

That's really odd because I see the debates in the lounge as potential minefields, peppered with traps and pitfalls ready to catch out the unwary (if you'll excuse the mixed metaphor).

We've got a number of members who appear to relish the cut and thrust of a lively debate, however they do seem to have a tendency to fall pitilessly upon anybody who expresses their opinion in a way that they feel doesn't measure up to their own exacting standards of knowledge, research skills or literary ability.

I entered into a few of the livelier debates when I first joined the forum, but quickly learned, whilst trying to get my opinion heard, that the adage about wrestling a pig in a mud hole is true - you'll eventually realise that the pig is enjoying it!

I now confine myself to interjecting with the occasional irreverent (and sometimes irrelevant) comment in order to try to lighten the mood - and that suits me just fine.

Cheers, Jeff

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Also, my experience of the internet prior to joining this forum was predominantly via parenting forums. If you think the lounge is too tame these days, join Mumsnet and jump in on a breast versus bottle or cloth nappy debate and be prepared for schrapnel wounds.

Craig20264 likes this.
  12. Fishboy

For reasons which I cannot easily explain I ended up as a member of a US-based forum called 'Moms Who Think' which is now defunct.

I know exactly what you mean about some of the debate that goes on in those places. It was a real eye-opener and no mistake!

Cheers, Jeff

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

A friend claims to have regrown his mother's liver with Cannabis oil.

There's no debate to be had in this country yet. We need the auld yins to die off before it stands a chance it would seem. Things will change eventually.

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Actually that's the thing which depresses me the most - the lack of youngsters feeling strongly about anything!

15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

What was he doing with his mother's liver? Didn't she miss it?

S

16. Fishboy

I doubt it - by the sound of things she was as high as a kite!

Cheers, Jeff

steveandthedogs likes this.
  17. hotwenxynt

hotwenxynt In the Stop Bath

There are some folk who cannot persuade others to change their mind or see their point of view, so resort to written abuse, calling names, and swearing (even if hidden by asterisks etc).
    Once they have done this they have lost the argument! I try not to get involved (mostly) and if it starts getting personal or abusive I will to take a step backwards. It is this abuse culture that damages forums. That's the way of life I'm afraid and there is no way I will put up with or condone online bullying or abuse.

Perhaps the moderation needs to be a little more pro-active?.

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Petitions gaining enough signatures to get discussed in parliament seem to be getting more frequent but just get dismissed by those who think it harms families and health.

Then we have all the new anti-smoking and psychoactive substances laws which strike me as making it more difficult to get anywhere with Cannabis. We seem to moving in the opposite direction to legalising it.

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I gather she did!

Not if dosing correctly using Cannabis oil. The Rick Simpson method is popular with those trying to heal themselves, I gather.

The effect of Cannabis on certain cases of child epilepsy is perhaps easier to believe than it curing cancer though......and the types of Cannabis of they want for that are high in CBD rather than THC so are not supposed to get you high either.

20. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Persuading someone to change their mind implies that they are wrong to start with! It might well be that the person trying to change their mind is wrong. The difficulty is that a proportion don't have the ability to respect the points of view that others have and are seemingly unable to hold a reasonable debate against without becoming abusive, which might actually mean that their opinion doesn't really hold water...