1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lake district

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by MartinR, May 3, 2007.

1. MartinR

MartinR Member

I`m planning a trip to the lakes and wondered if any of you could recomend some must see places, Large water falls and that sort of thing.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Check out the National Trust website - they look after a huge amount of land in the Lakes, including Aira Force waterfall, if my memory serves me.

3. Dave_Hop

Dave_Hop Well-Known Member

It's difficult not to find good views etc in the Lakes.

Particular favourites are Derwentwater and Windermere, but I prefer the more rugged areas around Buttermere and Wastwater.

Not well endowed with large waterfalls, but you might like to try Skelwith and Colwith falls near Ambleside (near the road from Ambleside to Coniston) or Aira Force near Pooley Bridge.

Lots of sheep and lambs at this time of the year.

Also plenty of nice little rural villages such as Caldbeck, Hawkshead, etc.

I live up here, please ask if you want any other info.

Dave

4. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

The lake district is a photographers paradise.(IMHO).

You will get good pictures where ever you go.

5. MartinR

MartinR Member

Thanks for all your location suggestions ,

"I have a 4gb memory card & i`m not afraid to use it!"
    martin R

6. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

fill your boots.............erm card

7. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

Have a look at Hardknot Castle. It's a Roman fort up on a promontory overlooking Eskdale with spectacular views and surroundings.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Hardknott is great for views. Eskdale also offeres some excellent river photo ops.

Waterfalls are actually not the Lakes' strongest suit - Aira is nice enough, and Lodore Falls behind the Lodore Hotel at the edge of Borrowdale are worth a look (both falls and hotel used to belong to my great uncle, the one who provided Basil Brush's laugh, FWIW), although you may still have to pay to get in to Lodore Falls. It's where the water from Watendlath comes out, ad was immortalised in verse by Southey. And at the end of the day, they're not that exciting.
    Others include SOur Milk Ghyll in Buttermere, and several in Ennerdale, but they're not that easy to reach. Last one I can think of offhand is Dungeon Ghyll in Langdale - best features being the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel and the New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel, both splendid pubs.

9. bellyboy

bellyboy Well-Known Member

Yes, I would certainly recommened Eskdale, especially this time of year (and into the summer as well)

If you go to Eskdale try a spot of lunch at Brook house - they do the best Beef and beer pie :)
    A favourite of mine - get it everytime I go

It depends where you're going in the lakes - it's quite big (well it takes ages to drive from Cockermouth to the south of the lakes :D)
    There is just so much to do the list would be massive!

Where abouts in the lakes are you wanting to go?

10. MartinR

MartinR Member

We are staying near hawkshead in june, but quite happy to cram in as much as possible,
    Please keep your sugestions coming,

many thanks Martin R

11. bellyboy

Well, near hawkshead is:

Windermere - loads to do, steamboats etc

Grizedale forest - nice walks

Ambleside - nice town and walks out of town

Coniston - also steamboats

Grasmere - mmmmmm gingerbread :)

And also if you can travel a bit further

Come up here to Cockermouth :)

Keswick is worth while

Also Buttermere is one of my favourite places which I visit often - mmmmmm farm-made ice cream :)

All of the above have brilliant photo opportunities

12. bradalax

bradalax Well-Known Member

You have noooo idea how impressed my son is at that! :D :D ;) (providing Basil Brush's laugh, not owning the hotel!)

13. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

Eskdale also has a little steam railway if you are interested in that sort of thing.

14. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Wow, I am impressed! :D , then the b/f said "What just the laugh and nothing else?" so he doesnbt believe you :(

So, what's the real truth behind your uncle and Basil Brush? :eek: :D

15. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Thereby hangs a tale?????? :D

Graeme

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, just the laugh and nothing else. Ivan Owen, who originally did Basil's voice, was a friend of my great uncle (Bob, would you believe!), and copied his laugh for Basil, recognising the comedic potential.

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Indeed, and several other pubs in the dale, and a decent one in Ravenglass at the end of the railway....

18. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

ooh! Here's your uncle! :D :D

19. bellyboy

Oh, you mean 'The Ratty Arms'
    I enjoy that, nice pub

20. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Shurely it's a brush??