1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Judge

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Dion 47, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Dion 47

Dion 47 Well-Known Member

That's what I do now Alfred East Gallery. Honest strait answers no TEC bull shit. I'm afraid a lot of the population like my work including very good artist's. By the way THE WIFE likes IKEA prints

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

"strait answers" seems appropriate.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

TEC? The Episcopalian Church? The Energy Consortium?

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Try Etching Copper? Tax Each Capture?

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Timing exposure composition? Can't be... so irrelevant.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Tackle Each Composition? Test Every Capability?

7. Dion 47

Come on lads Did I say anything was irrelevant. But it is irrelevant to a very large portion of photographer's even with good quality camera's . When you talk to them they say they only use auto.

8. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

That is a clear, straightforward and perfectly valid personal opinion, upon which you can base personal decisions about entering competitions or not. Certainly at a commercial level, the only competition need be that of the marketplace; either one's art sells or does not sell. Perhaps some of us who do not want to sell our photographs find competitions an alternative form of validation and, yet again, perhaps there are some who do not even seek validation from others (although that, I would find faintly strange).

9. Andrew Flannigan

Many people just enjoy sharing and don't need to be told their pictures are "good".

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It only is if you let it be. I have seen so many people go on to higher levels unrestrained by what people imagine to be the club judging stereotype.
    I'd say the biggest problem with judges is often the stereotypical cliche-ridden stuff they're given to judge by members: the holiday to Venice / Burano, the photo trip to Cuba / Slot Canyon / Iceland, the Lake District, beaches, lone trees, harbours and yachts, woodpeckers, flowers galore. Most that I know recognise something fresh, different, original, the moment it appears and thank the heavens for it.

Catriona likes this.
  11. Dion 47

A few years back a judge made a comment on one of my photos ( I don't think the club is quite ready for this yet) Another photo I put in was (pick this to bits) he said and I will and he did ,the club knew what I was about . I always look for a different angle and keep away from THEM photos

12. RovingMike

Good for you. I was the same. Never stopped me winning.

13. Dion 47

When you enjoy taking photo's and show them to friends etc you can't avoid comments . So listen to everyone but you wont please everyone that's all you need to understand. Selling photos is so hard but never take photos to please others or you think might sell as it's all about what you see and feel. I sold one framed photo because the wife told me that's the first time in 30 yrs her husband has walked up to a photo and said I like that so she got him It for his Birthday. I delivered it to he a week later the surprise on he Husbands face THATS WHAT TAKING PHOTO'S IS ABOUT one special moment

14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I find your posts really hard to read.

Anyway, ' THATS WHAT TAKING PHOTO'S IS ABOUT' - for some yes. But not everyone takes photos for that reason. The best thing about being human is that we all do things for different reasons, and as long as they don't hurt others, they're all perfectly valid.

Roger Hicks, Geren and Fishboy like this.
  15. RovingMike

Yes that's one of the reasons they buy good quality cameras. They think they can do things they can't.

16. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I do too but it seems to be what amateurs want. Look at the popularity of almost any competition.

In my own club more than 50% of the meetings are competitions of some sort. At the last three AGM's I have proposed a reduction in the number of competition nights and each time my proposal has been heavily defeated - very heavily defeated.

In any event (when I used to enter) it wasn't the actual competition but the judges remarks that were valuable. In my experience for every duff judge (and by jove there are some VERY duff judges) there are 10 very good ones.

MickLL

Fishboy likes this.
  17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

That's probably skewed, in that (in my view) amateurs who aren't interested in competitions are less likely to join clubs.

AlanW likes this.
  18. RovingMike

We had a much higher % of comp nights at FEPS years ago, but if we reduced them we just risked losing the higher end workers, who were never going to show up for someone's chinwag. Some of those could be dire too. But agree on % of good judges. We had a blacklist which each comp secretary in turn inherited showing those that were not to be invited back.

19. RovingMike

I read it as of those who are members. Otherwise the skew will be about 95/5%

20. Dion 47

Your not the only one I have a job understanding what I write. When I have something important to write to enoemos I get my daughter to help me. Anyway every now and then you might have to give someone a dry slap If they step out of line.