1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Judge

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Dion 47, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Dion 47

Dion 47 Well-Known Member

Brought up in another post what do you think of judges. Have you every wanted to stand up and say do you really understand what's in front of you

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Do you think you would be a good judge?
    What qualities do you bring with you when judging a picture?

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

An old fave. This usually runs for a few weeks and gets fairly heated. But short answer, yes.

4. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I have witnessed judges who clearly did not understand what the author of a photograph was trying to do. I have encountered judges whose comments I did not understand. I have learned a HUGE amount from listening to judges talk about photographs (my own and those of others). I have, at times, vehemently disagreed with judges.

But, always keep in mind that judges generally are volunteers who give up an immense amount of their time, free of charge, in order to help us indulge in our apparent need for competition. A judge whom we might hear perform for two hours in an evening is likely to have spent 12 - 15 hours in the week beforehand assessing the prints or PDIs he has been sent. And that ignores the time they spend attending training and assessment sessions.

It is far easier to ignorantly criticise a judge than to knowledgeably criticise a photograph.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's always a good thing to criticise those "in authority". In some parts of Europe it's even become a national sport. Why should camera clubs be any different? :cool:

6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I suppose the answer is that judges at camera clubs are not, in any sense, "in authority". If anyone is in authority it is the Competitions Secretary and, of course, they inevitably deserve criticism! :rolleyes:

PS - I was quite pleased with that line. I think I'll change my "signature" to include it for a wee while.

7. RovingMike

Mostly because those who can only carp and complain should keep quiet unless they are prepared to get up and do it better. As the man said: "It's far easier to ignorantly...etc"

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's a swing. On one end are the people who like to boss others and on the other end the people who prefer to tell the bossy ones what they're doing wrong.

9. Catriona

The judge is great if he/she picks my effort - he's rubbish if not!

You should be your own best/worst judge. Otherwise you are chasing your tail.

10. RovingMike

As the man said.........

11. Dion 47

Never thought about it but always say how I see
    . The insight to see the original shot before any photoshop the clues are nearly always there.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  12. Dion 47

I never had a problem with what judges said because if you had two judges they would both pick different photos . Win or loose have a booze
    It would be very silly of me to start a thread without knowing of or understanding the said topic
    It would be silly of me to post a thread without knowing of or understanding the said topic.

13. RovingMike

So maybe if you explain where you're coming from, you'll get more relevant answers. How many comps have you entered and what percentage do you think deserved your question?
    Did you review the extensive past discussion on judges in this column?

14. Dion 47

The past is the past things move on. Lots at club level and did very well Kettering Club won about 25% no more though you end up looking for what there need is (Judges).And not what is you. Also daily mail. Alfred east gallery. Northampton echo. All in the PAST. Every thing I do deserved a question other wise you don't improve. Worked for Unilever Research you had to question everything. Do judges move on as they all go through the same training and assessment. I have spoken to say about 20 judges and only met one with a open mind. If people didn't understand the thread they wouldn't answer . Getting writers cramp
    Saying less is more I'm sure you know the word SUCCINCT

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  15. RovingMike

Yes

PhotoEcosse, Catriona and Geren like this.
  16. Catriona

Why don't you?

17. Dion 47

18. Dion 47

Got out of the one way street years ago

Catriona likes this.
  19. Catriona

Forgive me, but it doesn't sound like it.

Would you be asking the question if you always won?
    Easy answer to everything - don't enter competitions. Just find a Gallery to exhibit your work. Let the population decide.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Am i right in thinking you're suggesting that a judge should be judging from how successfully s/he thinks the photographer has executed their vision, or even how well they delivered on what was in front of them, irather than the absolute merits of the picture? Because if so, I doubt if any judge miswould measure up all the time. Personally, I find the idea of competitive photography and of judging art faintly ridiculous, but one thing I do know is that judging is an entirely different skill set to most other things; Judge A can be intelligent, empathetic and a great photographer, whereas Judge B can be thick as two short planks, a racist, sexist misanthrope producing fairly dull stuff yet you can't be certain who would be the better judge on club terms - it doesn't have to be the one you would rather have a pint with.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.