1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The incompetence of brexiteers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Jan 14, 2019.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I mean, just how hard is it to burn a flag?

proseak, peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Once you can get flags and childrens night clothes that no longer have to conform to EU safety standards, they will burn just fine.

Graeme

Mark101, David Loxley, ascu75 and 7 others like this.
  3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Thats if you can get a lighter that works.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Well we won't be burning remainers/leavers at the stake, they're outlawing woodburners

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear David,

"They" are? Which "they"? Where?

Cheers,

R.

ascu75 likes this.
  6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Sorry Roger
    Big news in Britain...people have been having woodburners installed over the last few years, in some cases out of necessity, others out of vanity. The Government has decided to clean up the air (if not their act) and they want to be rid of them, likewise open fires, but they haven't yet mentioned witches, brexiteers or remoaners
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46823440

David Loxley and Roger Hicks like this.
  7. Roger Hicks

Dear David,

Following the link, "they" don't appear to have any concrete plans (or indeed appear to be anyone in particular), and the article refers only to "much of the country", so "outlawing woodburners" is something of an alarmist exaggeration.

Right now I'm sitting in front of a wood fire and will be cooking on it shortly (blistering peppers and grilling an aubergine). Yes, even here in France there are increasing restrictions on wood-burners but as with (for example) diesels, banning the sale of stoves relying on "dirty" old technology is not the same as banning that technology outright: it will take decades, perhaps centuries in the case of wood fires, for the old technology to vanish entirely.

In fact, in the increasingly unlikely event of Brexit coming to pass, huddling round wood fires in the open air or among ruins may be the only option for many in a few decades' time.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    ascu75 likes this.
  8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Installed a wood burner (DEFRA exempt, 82% efficient) in my old house in Ruislip, and have been glad of it. Only burn seasoned / kiln-dried hardwoods sold for that purpose, never the "wet wood" mentioned in the article. Have a bigger one now in Dorset, and will be using it tomorrow while my boiler is being changed. Ironically there is plenty of "wet wood" already cut in the garden, just a matter of whether I want to annoy the neighbours (I don't have many)

Zou likes this.
  9. Roger Hicks

What is "wet wood"? Currently I'm burning 3-6 year old oak (65€ for a cord of 3 cubic metres); maybe 5-year-old cherry (died in the garden); and debris (mixed woods from house repairs/demolition) 30-60 years old.

Cheers,

R.

ascu75 likes this.
  10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

But Roger I must protest.
    This is the internet so my alarmist exaggeration is well justified:rolleyes:

peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  11. Roger Hicks

I just looked up "wet wood" on the internet and found on this site that wet wood can contain up to 100% water... How stupid can you get?

Cheers,

R.

ascu75 likes this.
  12. SqueamishOssifrage

Yes, but well over half the journalists on the web are below average.

13. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Roger
    I spoke to my Brussels spy when she was visiting her parents over Christmas and she said that the smart money is also saying that it's not going to happen. So you are probably right

ascu75, Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

According to that article, it's wood left on garage forecourts to be flogged off cheaply to gullible / unsuspecting motorists, who will take it home only to have a rubbish fire with little heat and lots of smoke.

Zou and Roger Hicks like this.
  15. Roger Hicks

Ah... That would be 100%, then.

Cheers,

R.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Hahaha!
    The other 80% are killing themselves laughing at us all.

ascu75 likes this.
  17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Do you really represent such a small percentage Roger that you have no effect on it?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. SqueamishOssifrage

I love the stupidity of journalistic statistics. For instance, one New York paper claimed after some research that 80% of air crash survivors had noted the location of the exit doors, which contributed to their survival. Only someone hard-of-maths could possibly consider that statistic meaningful.

Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Reminds me that on our recent flight to JFK a stewardess saw me looking for the nearest exit and said, quietly, "its five rows behind you".

20. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

When all else fails read the instructions.

MickLL