1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Gower Peninsula - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by George W Johnson, May 21, 2013.

1. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

I'm heading to the Gower Peninsula for the first time very soon, staying just outside Swansea for a week and I was wondering if anyone had an recommendations for good places to go?

I've picked out Govan's Church, Worm's Head, Rhossilli Bay, Tenby and the lighthouse at Whitford Point ( assuming tide times match my week there ) but I'm open for any suggestions from snappers who know the area well and can advise on good landscape spots.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

George J

2. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Morning George.I notice you include Tenby in your post!Not in Gower but 40 miles west in Pembrokeshire.

The Peninsula is so photogenic it`s hard to know where to begin.You`ve picked a time of year when the roads of Gower are not likely to be gridlocked as happens in full summer. So starting in the south,Langland bay,Caswell bay,Oxwich,Port Eynon,Rhossili of course(breathtaking).
    On to the north,Weobly Castle,Llangenith(the far end of Rhossili Bay)Llannmadoc,Cwm Ivy,Penclawdd for estuary views.That`s for starters but you won`t fit it all into a week I`m afraid,You`ll have to return!!:p:D

Good luck with the weather.

3. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

As Dave has said, "You'll need to come back again" lol. You have to add Three Cliffs Bay to the list and Culver Hole, (if the tide is right), and possibly Paviland Cave. Have a great time

4. TheAlex

TheAlex Well-Known Member

Three Cliffs Bay is a must. I can't remember how far away Skomer Island is, but if you get the chance to boat across to there then do so. It's gorgeous.

5. George W Johnson

Brilliant stuff! Thank you so much indeed for all your great suggestions, you've given goosebumps just thinking about the opportunities, ha ha! It's mainly a recce to see what's there this time and hopefully get one of two places in the bag. It's only 250 miles by road so it sounds like this could become a regular hotspot.

Thanks again!

6. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

Hi George, Here's another one to add to your list:), you must go to Arthurs Stone, Reynoldston, a burial chamber, some good views from there.

7. George W Johnson

Much appreciated.

Cheers mate!

8. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

The Gower is magnificent.

But try not to be put off by the utterly grim approach to it.

9. George W Johnson

Bridgend and Port Talbot are quite a sight for sure! Ha ha!

Update:

Things didn't go quite to plan, the weather played its part when it rained for 2 solid out of the 7 which wasn't bad going. Unfortunately my wife got food poisoning and spend two days in bed which curtailed my photographic activities as I was playing nursemaid! When she got better we spent a pleasant evening at Rhossili Bay, I got some good shots at Mumbles ( despite scaffold on the lighthouse ) and we had a nice day trundling around the Brecons.

It was only 200 miles with the caravan so I think another trip is in definitely on the cards later this year!

Thanks again to all for you superb suggestions!

10. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Just didn't want you to turn round and go back - and then miss the good bits.