1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Gate Thread

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I have some somewhere way back. But I thought photography inside was banned? There used to be a sign at the entrance.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Only flash is now banned and my camera (6D) is not fitted with one. In fact a took some with in camera HDR which are the best I have done still room for improvement next time I feel the need to visit my sister, which will probably be soon.

4. RovingMike

I do remember in the Church of Bom Jesus in Braga, I set up my tripod in the middle of the floor and held my arms out to keep people from walking in the way during the very long exposure. If you look "official" enough you can often get away with it.

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

So, let me get this right, you were in a church with your arms held out and people avoided you because they thought you were "official"?

Are you sure they didn't think you were doing some sort of impression of JC being crucified?

Cheers, Jeff

6. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

I used to use a tripod for all my interior pictures but that was in my film days of 21-22 years ago, I still use a tripod for the one or two bird pictures in the garden using a 400mm lens and long home made cable release, nowadays if its interior pictures I just up the ISO to 1600 or 3200......my tripod is now to heavy to cart around, its just one of the drawbacks of getting old I'm afraid.....I try and control the noise in camera or in a editing programme and lets face it my pictures are not going very far anyway!.....Oh by the way I never entered any of these buildings without being dressed properly. I found that people who worked in these places appreciated that! and that always made me look official and professional...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

As Shortwood Common is an SSSI, I suspect they aren't allowed to change the gate. Same with the crossing on Staines Common, which has a ratty old style.

Anyway, a twofer...
    [​IMG]1 skip, 3 gates by Steve Higgins, on Flickr

Andrew Flannigan and Geren like this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

_P9A6262.jpg

Work gate.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  9. RovingMike

AndyTake2, Geren and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  10. IvorCamera

Definitely the last of my gate picture's.......(I think)
    White Cottage Ballintubber,Eire.jpg

AndyTake2, Andrew Flannigan and SXH like this.
  11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Andrew Flannigan and Catriona like this.
  12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

It's funny, he mused or possibly ruminated, how someone comes up with a theme and you think, "Nah, got nothing that fits that," and it turns out you have. Four or five in my case. Sort of.

Maybe that's why the Monthly Theme thread is 'easier' - you take pictures specifically for it.

IvorCamera likes this.
  13. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Hey speak for yourself my last two bags pictures were specially taken an if you are unlucky there may be more

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

15-07-09-003.jpg
    Long bent gate

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

15-08-12-008.jpg

Gate Number 6

RovingMike and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  16. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

No Prisoners there?

S

Geren likes this.
  17. RovingMike

Andrew Flannigan and SXH like this.
  18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

15-10-02-Y3-T1-B2-Partick-To-Cowcaddens-002a.jpg
    Gateway to ... not exactly 'heaven' is it?

IvorCamera likes this.
  19. IvorCamera

Home is where the heart is, in this case it's where the bins is!

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

15-12-06-015.jpg

Re-purposed gate. This stretch of road is a notorious accident black spot and the farmers who own the land on either side of it seem to have tired of trying to mend the wall with stones, or else don't know how because there are various improvised patching efforts going on all along it now.

steveandthedogs likes this.