1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Future of British Agriculture

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Please don't be so trivial. You must have been pissed to post that.
    I generally like your brilliant Yorkshire tyke jokes, but that is not one of them.
    Sadly you are right:. about only four famiilies. They sold out for personal gain. Seventy percent of British fisherman were destroyed by the EU fisheries policy. The majority of British fisher people (Yes there are a one or two female owner skippers, so fisher people not fishermen. )did not sell out. Four families sold out.
    I am getting a bit out of my depth here. I plead that someone close to the British (maybe Scottish in particular) fishing industry can tell me if I am talking bollocks, if I am correct, or maybe somewhere near the truth, one way or the other. If you are of a very polite disposition then you can rephrase the talking bollocks bit, but leave no misunderstanding.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Only if they were told that it was artificial meat made from fungus.
    Now I have nothing against fungus unless I miss-identify one and die a painful death as a result. You know within a few hours, but don't die for a few days. It isnot a good method of suicide. It is far too painful. I like mushrooms. I like meat. I do not like one of those masquerading as the other.

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Perhaps if you read this thread again - in the morning, with a clear head - you might acknowledge that you're the one who must have been pissed........ in order to have taken umbrage at Jeff's entirely reasonable, lighthearted post.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Well said Sir!

5. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

The British fishing industry was destroyed by British fishermen. When the sonar was introduced and chance was effectively removed they showed no self restraint. Its a simple fact they operate on the premise that the more they catch the more money they make and if they dont take the fish on the sonar, somebody else will.
    I remember having a discussion with a member of one of the Canadian Fishermen's associations who had contributed to the destruction of the grand banks fishery and their own livelihoods His simple conclusion was that fishermen are the last people who should be in charge of a fishery. External regulation is the only equitable way maintaining the resource. The EU have done a fairly good job of regulating the pressure on the resource.

Graeme

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Er...if that's a joke, I'm afraid it's over my head. If that's serious, then a) I apologise for offending you, b) I posted just after noon while in work, so no, no alcohol was involved and c) I'm from Lancashire.

Cheers, Jeff

PS - I was actually quite serious, but admittedly well off-topic. Kate's comment about the only boats left harvesting shellfish really got that song stuck in my head, and to make matters worse, I only know two lines of it.

DaveM399, Catriona and dream_police like this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Since I was married to a Lancashire lad, I was certainly not offended either!
    The problem re agriculture and fishing stems, I feel, from commercial values. The days of family businesses and direction to take seems sadly gone. That is our social norm these days. Too many grants and hand outs to the few don't help. Radical changes in policy and Government might help, but it will take a long time.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

A few years ago I was involved with a conservation group campaigning for protection of vulnerable fish stocks. Anyone who believes British commercial fishermen are the victims is delusional.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Those European countries that limited agricultural subsidies to small farms and made it contingent on integration with other local industries have done well out of it. The problem with us is that we don't cooperate well.

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

There, fixed that for you.

S

Andrew Flannigan and Catriona like this.
  11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Which is why we are where we are with Brexit...:eek:

12. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Silver Linging?

14. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Sounds fishy

Catriona likes this.
  15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'm not sure the fisheries are entirely to blame when you get folk lining up to buy overfished species and say they don't like close relatives.

You get folk that say they like haddock but not cod or vice versa, for example. Also, meat and cheese portions are usually bought by weight but with the fish folk seem to work out how much they are getting by price so people really notice if it gets more expensive. A pound of mince costs whatever it costs, to an extent, but folk seem to know exactly what size of fish they get for their money. Or at least a lot of my customers seem to shop that way and think fish should be cheaper than steak (expensive cuts of fish are a high risk for getting dumped on shelves between counters and checkouts IME).

16. Andrew Flannigan

I don't like haddock but I do like cod. Are you suggesting there's something wrong with my choice?

Catriona likes this.
  17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, it's the English choice! Usually the other way round up here.

I'd suggest it is close enough that people are just being fussy for the sake of it and don't really care how overfished either species is so long as they get what they want the way the want it.

Had a box of Whiting come in by mistake the other week and people were outraged it wasn't Haddock. "He doesn't like it" gets met with "well don't tell him".

18. Andrew Flannigan

For politeness sake I'll merely comment that our sense of taste must be different.

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have cod wrapped in batter and haddock smoked. Without the batter or the smoke I am not sure I could say which was which.

20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!