1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fruit of hatred, intolerance, and lies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John Farrell, Mar 15, 2019.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Don't we work in much the same way? My Chinese friend has to have something like 60K in the bank to be here.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Surprised we don't all get means tested. Then the government could exile those who don't match up.

Makes me sick. The price of a human being, not their value.

Perhaps this thread should be the causes of hatred intolerance and lies.

Trannifan, Roger Hicks and daft_biker like this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Let's take a show of hands: who here would like to see the end of all immigration controls on entry to Britain? This is not a troll. I'd be interested to see who would like totally free movement into Britain.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

*raises hand*

5. Catriona

Free movement in, free movement out. Fine by me.

Terrywoodenpic and Zou like this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The attack was terrible and very wrong. The right wing is not getting stronger. Murder is not their way.
    The right wing, like the left wing, are on the political spectrum and are political not murderous.

Unfortuneately there are ultra groups, ultra because they are off the end of the political scale. They are growing and dangerous. The person committing this offence aeems to be a Fascist.

Have you really considered the consequences of that?

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes.

Catriona likes this.
  8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Who are encouraged by the far right of the spectrum, who are encouraged by the centre right.

S

Roger Hicks, Zou and Catriona like this.
  9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

The population of Africa is over 1.25 billion and the population of the Middle East is over 200 million - lets round it to 1.5 billion, from the two main sources of immigrants to Europe. What percentage would like to live in the UK if given the chance through open borders? And how many of those would try for entry? I don't know the answer to those questions, but I am quite sure that it would be many times the UK current population.

So my answer is:

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

daft_biker and GeoffR like this.
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

One of the problems with blaming everything on the opposite side of the political spectrum is that one tends to forget that some one only slightly to the left (right) of ones own position may actually be nearer the centre. To the middle left, the middle may be described as "right wing" despite being nothing of the sort.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I believe some form of unjustifiable exceptional must be applied to the UK to assume that the world would naturally want to move here. Much of immigration into the UK has been from former empire or commonwealth countries, which had a direct link to the UK. They didn't all come here because it was somehow the best place to be.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

and we, of course, could move to where we want to be as well. Open borders would settle down eventually - as they did in the dim and distant past.

Zou likes this.
  13. Catriona

I have a counter question to those who are afraid of mass immigration to the UK.

What are you afraid of?
    Do you look over your shoulder now? The danger from someone you know is far more likely than anyone new.

Zou likes this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they aren't coming for the low wages and low pensions - almost the worst in Europe. Maybe it's the long working hours and unaffordable housing that's pulling them in?

Trannifan, Catriona and peterba like this.
  15. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Most, if not all, of the poorest would, or to USA. Many of the brightest and best would too. I have lived in Africa, plus mid and far east. It is those that can make their way comfortably in the middle that have least incentive to want to emigrate.

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My hand is firmly down by my side. I’m not anti immigration but there needs to be control, just like there needs to be control into other countries.

RovingMike likes this.
  17. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

18. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mike,

Only if they've never tried it. Both my brother (rich man, worked in banking then advertising) and I tried it. We came back to our native country, as do 1 in 3 immigrants to the United States. Frances didn't even come back to the UK: she moved out of the USA without having lived anywhere else. And wouldn't go back the the USA. We have many other American friends who would much prefer to live in Europe too. m

In other words, you need a highly tautologous definition of "brightest and best" in order to defend your nonsense.

Cheers,

R.

Trannifan and Catriona like this.
  19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I accept that immigration of people who are generally seen as an asset, in modest numbers, and share our values, or have values compatible with our own. I do not accept people who hate us and everything we stand for. You may well ask why would such people come here. Simple answer is to spread their values and beliefs and exploit us. Why did Europeans spread into the colonies? We spread there to exploit the population often in slavery, and material assets. Also to spread our ever so nice religion of various forms of Christianity.

Please be honest. You are trying to sit on the fence. Do you want anyone who wants to come here to do so. Kate and Zou think that acceptable. They are not against even uncontrolled immigration. I disagree with them but they are honest and upfront about their attitude.
    You say that there must be controls, as I do. That makes you discriminatory. I am not ashamed about being discriminatory. How about you?

20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Where is that sitting on a fence?