1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The first Christmas-related photo you ever took

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by plugsnpixels, Dec 3, 2016.

1. plugsnpixels

plugsnpixels Well-Known Member

What is the very first Christmas-related photo you ever took?

Here's one of mine from Christmas 1974, where a friend and I were roaming around town with our Instamatic cameras as young teens photographing everything in sight, such as this holiday display in the park. We later developed the film ourselves.

xmas1974.jpg
    This image is scanned from the original 126 negative which I still have (along with several other pages of them).

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Good heavens, I have no idea. Moving house as often as we did means that a lot of things weren't kept; I don't think my photographs were a priority for my parents. Actually I don't think photographs were full stop. My first camera was a kodak instamatic which I was given when I was around 8 - so 1974 or thereabouts. I imagine my first Christmas related photograph would have been taken that year then!

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Haven't the faintest idea! I can remember trying to shoot a Christmas tree on IR (unsuccessfully) in about 1967. The lack of success was because I didn't realize you needed IR film: I thought that just an IR filter would be sufficient...

Cheers,

R.

Geren likes this.
  4. plugsnpixels

Well Roger, I loaded my first roll of B&W film into the tank right under the safelight...

Geren likes this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

The wonderful technician at the art school told me a story last week. A former student, never having loaded film into a spiral for developing before, spent several nights at home with an old roll of film and a spiral in his house, and practised loading it with his eyes shut so that on the first day of the black and white film processing workshop, he would know what to do. Apparently, he practised lots and became quite adept at it, being able to load the film onto the spiral quickly and efficiently in no time. Not quite quickly enough mind you. Because when he locked himself into the film loading 'cupboard', he set all his stuff out, closed his eyes as was now his practice and efficiently loaded his film, snapped the lid on the daylight tank and opened his eyes to realise he'd been standing in the cupboard with the lights on.

EightBitTony and Trannifan like this.
  6. plugsnpixels

That's funny! Reminds of back in high school, someone brought in a box of photo paper and asked me if I wanted it (as they helpfully opened it to show me what was inside...).

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Would have been about 1976 of our cat rolling himself up in wrapping paper I think. The ex must have it somewhere.

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That'll be a bloody old cat then.

RovingMike and EightBitTony like this.
  9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Here's a very early digital one (including a selfie) from around 2005 or 2006...

05-Christmas-04a.jpg

Somewhere I probably have some Instamatic prints from Christmases in the early '70s...

10. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Don't want to make you feel old plugsnpixels but that was my first Christmas. :)

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Show some respect you young whippersnapper...:D

beatnik69 likes this.
  12. beatnik69

I imagine there are probably photos of me at that time. The once my granddad would have taken would possibly have been on an OM-10 and those taken by my parents would have been on a Kodak Instamatic - one of the long, flat ones that used flash cubes.

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Not the first But one of the first Digital ones.....
    Was she happy or What?

[​IMG]

14. plugsnpixels

Thanks everyone! BTW, those same outdoor decorations in my 1975 pic above are still being brought out each year to this day!

(Pic by someone else on Facebook):

park.jpg

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Guess it depends on whether all she asked for were her two front teeth...:D

beatnik69 likes this.
  16. beatnik69

beat me to it. ;)

17. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

At that moment they were the last thing on her mind...
    I had bought her a real "adult" set of walkie-talkies.

18. DrewMac

DrewMac New Member

Playing around with a friend's Nikon d3100 and aperture priority mode. Ho Ho Ho IMG_20161221_220618_810.jpg

19. plugsnpixels

Nice, DrewMac, but that's the LAST Christmas photo you took. Let's see the very FIRST one ;-)

20. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

How can you know that is the LAST, or do you know something we don't?:eek: