1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dunning-Kruger effect.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Just had to pass this on here!
    You've probably encountered this effect but hadn't realised it's actually been 'Named' ... Basically, this cognitive bias occurs when people are so ignorant, incompetent, or unskilled in a particular field that they actually believe they are much more knowledgeable, competent, or skilled than they actually are.

For instance, you are managing a team for an important project. If you do a good job, you are up for a promotion at work. Everyone on the team works well together except for one person. This individual thinks they are doing everything right when, in reality, they're just screwing up everyone else’s hard work, regardless of what directions or guidelines you have given them. As a result, you can just see that promotion slipping away . . .

But it gets worse; Imagine if your Team Leader is a Dunning-Kruger person. Or maybe the Manager of your division at work.

Or *cough* Donald Trump *cough*

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I am sure that I have noticed both Dunning and Kruger posting on this forum from time to time.

:eek::confused:

dream_police likes this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Is this the same Kruger who invented the flap?

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

As this dates back to 1999, it seems likely that many have already heard of it.

Cheers,

R.

5. Roger Hicks

Dear Geoff,

And the Rand?

Cheers,

R.

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Well, many of their research subjects, anyway.

Cheers,

R.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Are you trying to stir things up?

8. Roger Hicks

Surely just stating the obvious.

The alternative is that the man knows what he is doing and is evil incarnate.

Cheers,

R.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Possibly, were they the same Kruger?

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well it goes back to the comment I made about how opinions (in the vast majority of cases) are formed doesn't it? It affects all of us to some extent and for some "a little learning is a dangerous thing" because we don't know how much there is to know and if we know something, we tend to assume it is all you need to know.

But the effect is magnified by personality types and there is one typology that relies on a key fact and intuition for the rest in decision making. They are also quite domineering and impervious to advice. They have great uses in some situations, but can be the disaster you describe in most others. A good friend of mine analysed all the kinds of people that can disrupt projects and especially meetings about projects and gave them catchy names. I worked on the experimental phases of his proposed answer to it which we tested in NY and London and if you like that kind of thing, it might be worth a read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mote-Super-Meeting-David-Wethey/dp/1909273201

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I can only assume you've not noticed previous posts on this subject because they were covered in lemon juice, Sam. ;)

proseak and Roger Hicks like this.
  12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Ah, but you didn't know what the effects name was prior to this, did you?
    At least Roger was referring to Kruger and not Kreugar, likely to be considered the 'Jekyll & Hyde' of the worlds stock markets and the 'Godfather' of swindling for many years into the future. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7939403.stm

13. proseak

proseak Well-Known Member

On the mark...and hilarious :)

Roger Hicks likes this.