1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The Cloud

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by steveandthedogs, May 7, 2013.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or is there anybody else out there who doesn't trust "The Cloud"?

And no, Mr Adobe, I won't be signing up to £18/month for eternity.

2. RexK

RexK Well-Known Member

This move is really a killer for me!
    1. I live in Vanuatu and Adobe wont accept payments from here, despite the fact that I have a paypal account and my credit card is from an Australian bank.
    2. I am an amateur, this means that all my photo work is done on my home machine. I do not have an internet connection there. To get a connection with any near reasonable speed would cost me about GBP60 a month.
    3. If I cancel my subscription I can no longer use the software.

Cheers Rex

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I'm not a fan of this new fashion for "cloud computing" - just adds another layer of complexity and area for things to go wrong.

The original idea of PCs - Personal Computers - is that they're, well, personal, i.e. not dependent on anyone else.

Seems like we're coming full circle, back to dumb terminals and "smart" mainframes. We'll be having to submit our photo editing sessions on punch cards next...

4. RexK

RexK Well-Known Member

But they are only 8bit!

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Nah, 12 bit! But it's debatable as to whether the top row is row 10 or 12.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_cards

PDP-8 binaries with a hand punch, anyone? :)

6. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

It's supposed to be great for the professionals, but most hobbyists are going to lose out. But probably Adobe doesn't really care, as we a re a small fish in a large corporate pond. It will, for sure, put paid to Piracy and as long as Windows 7 is around, CS6 will do everything I need. The rest is just more toys.

Eventually, they may add 16 bit to Elements, then we can all feel comfortable again.