1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Chav Prayer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tonycro, Jun 22, 2012.

1. tonycro

tonycro Well-Known Member

Our father, who are in prison
    Mother knows not his name.
    Thy Chavdom come, thy shoplifting done, in JJB sports as it is in Poundland.
    Give us this day our welfare bread
    And forgive us our ASBO's as we happy slap those
    Who give evidence against us
    And lead us not into employment
    But deliver us free housing.
    For thine is the chavdom
    The Burberry and the Blackberry
    Forever and ever

Innit :cool:

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Wicked:cool:

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I thought that was the Essex Boy Prayer :D

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Same difference...

5. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Wondered how long this would take to get from fb... to here ! :) :)

6. tonycro

tonycro Well-Known Member

bout 30 seconds :cool:

7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Naughty :)

Less of the Essex boy bashing. :p

8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

OY! I'm an Essex girl!

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

never:eek:....you're far too intelligent:D

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That must be the very best parody of anything, originals or parodies, that I have ever read in the last 65 years, the years in which I had the ability to read. Do you think we could get someone to set it to music in the Anglican tradition.

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

maybe Sir Cliff....

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No; he is too Christian. I am trying to think of the name of a contemporary agnostic who has written a lot of religious music that has quality and popularity in the right circles. In my incipient confusion of old age I cannot remember his name. He does Christmas pieces and all that and has been sung at Kings at Christmas and similar occasions. Surely someone knows who I mean.

13. LesleySM

Thanks but I was born in Romford and grew up there (You have no choice over where you are born) But I did escape ASAP to East London (My parents were mystified- my dad was born about 5 minutes walk from where I live and they scrimped and saved to buy a house in a "better area" for the benefit of their kids then as soon as I could I moved back to their roots!) so I am an Essex girl on a technicality but I am not a Chav (They're from Kent anyway) and have never owned a pair of white stiletto's (or any stilleto's I can't walk in high heels never could)

14. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

I don't know a lot about Chavs, except that there is a very distinctive way of dressing and speaking.
    I know there will be a percentage who get their accoutrements through crime.
    However, the majority of Chavs must be in work to be able to afford the clothes etc.
    So, my question is, when did the working classes who follow a certain fashion become demonised in this way?

EXAMPLE
    If Kate M sashays forth in a Burberry scarf, it's fashionable.
    If a working class person emulates her, wearing a cheaper version, they are derided.
    Middle class girls who plunder Top Shop or wherever to buy similar clothes to Kate M. are considered fashionable.

I don't remember my father being derided for wearing a flat cap and racing pigeons.
    He paid his way and was respected by his peers.

15. LesleySM

16. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

Thank you, Lesley, I've ordered the book.
    It looks like a really interesting read.

17. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Er, where does one wear a racing pigeon? On the cap or maybe round the neck. Sorry Jacqui, that just tickled my sense of weird ;)

18. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

A lot of valid points...

If Kate M (Kate W now, surely?) wears Burberry, it will have come from Burberry (although she might, of course, frequent Holyhead market on Anglesea) and she will wear it with style. If a chav wears Burberry, it will be a 'knock-off' from the local market and they will wear it because it is their fashion and their uniform - a way of fitting-in, because fitting-in is important if you live in an area which is fraught with tension and latent aggression.

Because their Burberry is fake, there can't be any inferred correlation between chavs and work. I don't see chavs as working class, I see them as wannabe poseurs - someone I know once told me that their younger brother's aspiration was to become a chav.

Surely Top Shop is within the reach of most girls? I've never imagined it was 'middle-class'. A few people might define their class by where they shop, but I'm pretty sure most don't. People might prefer one shop to another, and lean towards a particular style but, generally, that has little to do with fashion, much less elitism.

Where I live in Surrey, there are chav gangs (who will almost inevitably be white), black gangs, Tamil gangs etc. What they all have in common is that they are gangs. When I meet people, I'm relieved to be able to say that I do look beyond appearance and, always hoping for the best, often find amazing individuals in what many might consider unlikely places. But when I'm confronted by an overtly aggressive group, I find that I do identify them by their stereotyped images. I feel at my most comfortable when I see people as unique individuals, and at my worst when I pre-judge them because all I can manage to see is a group.

And finally, does 'working class' mean much nowadays? I know people who are the traditional 'upper-class', yet who are dull, uninteresting, not particularly bright, and often poor. Equally I know people who were born into lives of no privilege and no expectation, who are intelligent, sparky, interesting and really good people to spend time with. In my view, class is nothing to do with money or accent, but it is a lot to do with consideration, gentleness, concern for others and a wish to lead a good, fulfilling and worthwhile life.

19. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Re: The Chav Prayerhttp://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/n

Really? I mean are you really being serious? Please say you're not. Surely you're on a wind up here? :confused::confused:

Willie

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  20. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I have to say its on a par with that stupid thing about squirrels hiding their nuts for hard times or whatever it is.

These nasty pieces of doggerel are usually aimed at some social group everyone likes to have a boot at and this one is no exception.

Pretty pathetic I'd say :(

Willie