1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best camera ever..........

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Brian, Mar 4, 2017.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Despite my occasional moans about Fuji, I do like their gear. I've just sold off all my Canon gear and I now only have Fuji stuff.

2. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Thanks Stephen.

The Fuji X system is a replacement for a digital M series Leica. It's a system which is aimed mainly at the street/reportage/ documentary photographer. In fact from an operating view the X is far superior, auto focus and the ability to use EVF for lenses longer then 90mm for example. Fuji lenses are up there amongst the best.

I used Leica cameras lenses and enlargers for fifty plus years. Now retrieving old prints I have to say that technically the Fuji 20x16 knock spots off the analogue. That is technically, aesthetically no, no digital print is going to come near a wet print on Royal Bromesko.

Whether or not paying about five times as much for the Leica equipment is very much between the individual and the bank manager. However from my perspective the Fuji actually wins in terms of operational functionality. IQ ? I print a lot and as I mentioned technically the Fuji has it.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The three Fujichrons set side by side with the three Fujiluxi v the Leica versions being a case in point.

For me they have faults, some lenses aperture rings too loose, buttons a bit fiddly and easily hit by mistake, hate the sloping top plate on the XPro2. But all in all a great system bearing in mind my earlier comments re usage. Oh and it should have a wind on lever. :)

Incidentally the snap in the pub was taken on the little X100T at 1000 ISO, 1.125th @ F8. Straight Fine JPEG, lifted the shadows a touch in LR and used Nik for the frame. Original shot in B & W mode in camera.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Done_rundleCams and Scphoto like this.
  3. miked

miked Well-Known Member

For me they have faults, some lenses aperture rings too loose, buttons a bit fiddly and easily hit by mistake, hate the sloping top plate on the XPro2. But all in all a great system bearing in mind my earlier comments re usage. Oh and it should have a wind on lever.:)

Brian, you forgot to mention a gentleman assistant replete with umbrella (for inclement conditions) a hamper from Fortnum & Mason, a folding table and chair, and a high-calibre rifle (in case of troublesome wildlife) He (and it must be a he) should be suitably dressed, ie: rather like one's butler.;)

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I didn't mention those things, one takes the things you add for granted. ;) You also forgot the travelling cocktail cabinet.

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I didn't mention those things, one takes the things you add for granted.

;) You also forgot the travelling cocktail cabinet.

My apologies, How remiss of me, My attention must have been distracted by the personal ministrations of one of the below-stairs maids.:(

6. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Ahhhhh sweet memories, think I had her mother.:

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Brian, I don't need a Leica. I haven't left film either. I was just rather taken with the comment that an APUG member had put alongside his kit list: "Olympus OM1 - Do I need to own a Leica?"

To which I would obviously reply "No. Who could want more? :) You have one, anyway, with a prism on top. :):):)"

You may have found them too twiddly (I accept the body size was too small for some) but for me, the original OMs (including n/S variants) are 'the best camera ever', combining at reasonable cost a reflex with a rangefinder. Almost pocketable as well, depending on season, fashion & type of clothing. Combined with modern films, especially, medium format almost becomes redundant. Cheers, Oly

8. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Each to his own but the only SLR I have ever enjoyed was the NikonFM3a, now that was nice.

[​IMG]

Yet another pub shot. Xpro2 23 mm. 1.125th @ f2. 4000ISO JPEG, Acros simulation.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Geren, miked and Done_rundleCams like this.
  9. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Lovely shot again. Just seen my quote to trade in my Canon stuff (potentially have around £3,750 to spend) so tempted a bit more!

10. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I would go for it providing you are not into sports type photography. Yes you could use the Fuji system but it's not ideal.

However for my sort of photography it is " The Best Choice" I have the 14mm, f2 23mm, F2 35mm and the 56mm f1.2. In every case cracking lenses. The 90mm f2 has also just arrived but a little long for me. Try both the XPro2 and the T, you might prefer the evf, rather then the hybrid viewer of the XPro2. In fact if you need to save money get the early versions, many are finding they have a less perfect look, more filmic.

But DONT under any circumstances buy an X100T or F. Why? Because every time you go to select a camera for an outing it the one that goes walkies. :)

11. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Stephen just another thought. Do not dismiss the "kit" 18-55mm lens. It is a little beauty. I sold mine that came with the camera, Much prefer primes, but now find myself looking at s/h examples of this very useful zoom.
    If you decide to go this route and buy new get the kit, this saves 50% on the cost of the lens.

Got a birthday coming up and thought if the wife asks what to buy I have the answer. Bugger, last night, because of paper work she had to tell me that she had ordered my pressie.............a personal number plate for my new car.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  12. Scphoto

Thanks for the input Brian. I was looking at the 'better' 18-55 f/2.8 as it's probably a closer match to my Canon 24-70 f/2.8 but still early days yet. I tend not to do sports so should be fine. Just weighing up Ebay or Trade in for some of my Canon gear. I'm tempted to keep some bits just incase I get a decent Eos film body, but most of the silly stuff i've collected over the years can go.

I was wondering about picking up an older version, after all my eos 6d is 4 years old and that is still fine for my use (to be fair my ancient 1D at 8mp is fine!).

13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Stephen,

The Fuji XF 18-50 is an 2.8-4.0, but, still a cracking lens :) If you want the constant 2.8 Wide Angle Zoom, you have to opt for the
    16-55/2.8 lens and, over here, about $600 more and, ISP'sO (in some people's opinion) way too big, comparatively speaking ;)

Cheers,

Jack

14. Scphoto

Thanks Jack :)

15. Scphoto

Popped into Jessops and had a look at the xPro2 the other day. Yes, I think I will. However I've broken my wrist with a bike vs car incident yesterday so it's on hold for a bit!!!!

16. Done_rundleCams

Oh man, sorry to be about that Stephen -- broken wrist wise -- :( and should you have any X-Pro2 queries, I think, Mr. Tompkins is your man :)

Cheers,

Jack

17. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

But Mr Tompkins might be a bit biased.;)

Seriously for my sort of photography the best camera was the M series Leica, with 21-35-50 and 90mm lenses. For some fifty years it served me well. Then came digital. DSLRs replaced and sat gathering dust. Then my wish came true, thank you Fuji, a digital M with bells on and a set of lenses to complement it. The OVF of the XPro2 is better then anything ever produced by Leitz......with auto focus, and a range of lenses to die for.

Of course there is also the XT2, for Cissies ;)

18. Done_rundleCams

:D :D :D

Jack

19. Scphoto

Thank again guys. XPro3 might be out by the time I can pick anything up with my newly shaped wrist.

20. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I remember walking into Rochdale Infirmary many years ago to see whether they could help me with an injury. I'd been doing a Viking battle re-enactment the previous day and somebody had caught me a good 'un on the wrist with a sword - the swords had 'safe' rounded edges but they were still great big lumps of metal. I suspected (as it turns out, correctly) that the blow had chipped a bone in my wrist. Everything was still working properly, but it hurt like a bugger.

Anyway. I walked up to the nurse on reception and asked whether I could see somebody. She asked what had happened and I told her that I'd been hit on the wrist with a sword.

The nurse went all pale, pointed to the plastic bag I was carrying and asked "Is...is you hand in there?"

"No" I replied, "it's a Pot Noodle".

I had to show her both hands, wiggle my fingers and I even had to show her the Pot Noodle before she got some colour back.

Scphoto - I hope you get well soon.

Cheers, Jeff

Done_rundleCams, Scphoto and El_Sid like this.