1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Belmond Royal Scotsman

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Steve52, Aug 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

The Belmond Royal Scotsman Class 67(?) #66746 exiting Dawlish station.
    This train usually operates out of Edinburgh, providing luxury tours around the Scottish Highlands.
    She was on a one off trip to Newton Abbot and return just to see the sea wall at Dawlish.
    Taken on 9th July at about 6.50am.
    [​IMG]

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Class 66 - the first two numbers are the class, the rest is the number within the class.

Unless it's six digits (EMUs and such) where the first three are the class. Though sometimes they miss a couple of the class digits for reasons I have never quite worked out. See some of th EMUs in this folder -> https://www.flickr.com/photos/156759084@N02/albums/72157684548740310

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I s'pose you who are not of the steam age can get excited about these characterless machines, but not for me. But nice to see the sea wall back up again. :)

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Excited? Not as such, but interested. Though more interested in the infrastructure than the trains.

Characterless? Or that they have a character that you don't recognize because you are 'of the steam age'?

And yeah, I remember the steam age. Noisy and smelly.

RovingMike likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

....and a free dose of lung disease with every trip! :cool:

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I guess the test will be how many diesel and electric preservation societies there are in a few years' time. :)

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well a quick Google throws up the Preserved Diesels site (which has a list of groups - 1st and 4th items), Diesel and Electric Preservation Group, Diesel Traction Group, Industrial Diesel & Railway Preservation Group and a few others so no need to wait a few years.

Diesels and electrics have been around long enough for older classes to have reached the preservation part of their lives.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

A few diesels also run on steam preservation lines, e.g., Butterley(Midland Railway), Great Central, North Somerset etc.