1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 45 Challenge

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by MJB, Aug 21, 2019.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I set myself the challenge of photographing all 45 species of Butterflies that are native to Wiltshire and have just 5 left to get. Managed to get 2 of the trickier ones , due to a lack of suitable habitat in the county. Luckily there's a tiny part of the New Forest heathland within Wiltshire's boundary.

Grayling

grayling.jpg

Silver Studded Blue

ssb.jpg

ssb2.jpg

ssb3.jpg

Dan S and EightBitTony like this.
  2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

One question about your impressive pictures: are they all taken just using natural lighting (possibly with a reflector too)? There is one of AP's 'in association with' articles in the latest issue that suggests a real man need help from a nice LED light source to get results this good.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

All natural light.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Chester AP

Perhaps you should offer to write an article for AP: 'How to photograph butterflies without spending money on additional lighting'.
    This would probably be of interest to more people than the one in the magazine.

Catriona likes this.
  5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It would be quite short. "Point camera at butterfly, press shutter release".

steveandthedogs and EightBitTony like this.
  6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Unless you are a world-class exponent of the "throw manure at the wall until some sticks" school of photography, there must be more than that!

Adrian

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Know your subject.
    Research.
    Explore.
    Locate.
    Wait.
    Patience.
    Wait.
    Point camera and shoot.

I guess.

MJB likes this.
  8. gray1720

A much better summation of my point.

Adrian

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums it up. It's more about finding the shot, than the technicalities.

10. gray1720

Don't shout it too loud, camera makers might go out of business if people twig that!

Adrian

Dan S, MJB and EightBitTony like this.
  11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Wait, patience and wait are why I gave up my (limited) ambitions of being a world class wildlife photographer ;)

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Excellent! That would make a good book!

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

That's my ultimate aim. A way off yet though, as I'll have to wait for next July to get a Purple Emperor.

Dan S and EightBitTony like this.
  14. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

If you want the best results you need to pick the
    This will work but for the best results add also wait for the right light as in a bright slightly overcast day to give nice diffused light. Along with a few other things going right like a freshly emerged specimen etc

15. Chester AP

Ah... the experts make everything look so easy: but merely being very competent no longer involves enough pain and suffering for your art.

Perhaps you could expand this to 2,000 words, explaining your personal philosophy of life, the universe and everything. Don't forget to casually mention your favourite camera body and lens for this type of work, preferably very recent models that are very expensive. Also explain the personal sacrifices made to achieve the shots: getting up two hours before dawn, walking many miles across the countryside with only a satellite APP on your state-of-the-art smartphone to guide you at every step, living on only a chocolate camera and a bottle of water, coping with storm and tempest, and finally waiting for two weeks for the perfect shot.

And when you put in on the AP forum, everybody assumes you took the picture in your garden.