1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That dumb Creative Dial on Pen F

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by RovingMike, Oct 24, 2018.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Does anyone know how to switch it off completely, or re-programme it to do something useful?
    I knocked it the other day at the People's March and got a couple of hours of really stupid colours. Fortunately they were only jpegs and the raw was OK, but if I had not been shooting raw.......I can't believe anyone thinks what that dial does is in any way "creative", do they?

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Good luck getting an answer.
    Similar for me with the Panasonic DMC-LX100 - and the Filter and iA buttons! Fortunately I usually notice pretty quickly.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My little Pentax Qs have the same problem. Ridiculous.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

One major plus on the Panasonic G9 is the locking control dial. Press the central button to (dis)engage.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Always buy the simplest tool that does the job...
    Perhaps somebody Olympus realised there was room to fit a pointless dial on the body, lest it look neat and well designed. Also, many naive buyers are impressed by thing like this. Go-Faster stripes on cars, creative dials on cameras, Facebook... this could be a long list.

Trannifan likes this.
  6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I never even looked at what the creative dial does on my Pen F. That was after attempting to use its predecessors on earlier Olys.

7. RovingMike

Well clearly it is meant to resemble the slow speed dials on old Leicas. But it rather turns a good camera into something quite Mickey Mouse.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Don't all cameras have at least one badly positioned button? Usually On/Off or video button too close to the shutter release, in my experience.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Actually, I think it's the shutter speed dial on the original Pen F that it's intended to ape, although as you say, it's where the slow speed dial was on old Leicas - and for that matter, where the shutter speed dial was on the original Lecia CL. The Pentax Q one is at least on the other side of the lens mount, but still gets knocked. That one actually looks more like the old Leica slow speed dial. Shame that can't be used for anything particularly useful, either.

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mike,

Sell it and buy a real camera...

I'm quite fond of my Pen W, which has the additional advantage of appreciating in value, rather than depreciating.

Cheers,

R.

Learning likes this.
  11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Fortunately my Oly (which to my surprise I have grown quite fond off) is so tiny that they could not fit to many buttons or dials. The creative art filters are buried deep in the menus where I hope I will never find them.
    They again, maybe I am just not that creative...

RovingMike likes this.
  12. greyowl

greyowl Member

.. and i just can't find out where the creative effects controls are on my d500

oh wait - i think they're supposed to be in my brain

sadly missing from both i am afraid

RovingMike likes this.
  13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Just shoot raw (plus jpeg if you must) then you can undo any stupiidity caused by scene modes and 'creative' effects.

14. Learning

You will find them in most image processing software.

15. RovingMike

Yes I was on raw, no jpeg, but it gave me raw + wonky jpeg, so easy to delete.

16. Learning

A more considerd view than that which I expressed earlier.
    Sorry Mike, I had forgoten that you had made the OP.
    Scene modes do have a use for people shooting jpeg.. Not only do scene modes choose supposedly best aperture, speed and iso, but also influence the raw processing towards jpeg. Scene modes might be useful to people not wanting to get involved with raw processing. That's fine most of the time. Personaly I prefer more control, I use D500 and do not miss scene modes.

17. RovingMike

Was not really about scene modes, but the "Creative" dial. But yes, it is shortcuts for the digitally challenged.

18. zykelx

zykelx Member

IMHO buy that extra grip - I loved mine on Pen F