1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test & Wow farce

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by RovingMike, May 10, 2017.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

On April 24 I booked online to borrow a Pen F for three days. Was to be collected between 10 and 12 today from Park Cameras in London. Turned up at 11.40 and no record of it. No reply to the phone at Oly, but the dealer got the thing ready and I showed picture ID, but no utility bill. No one told me I needed a utility bill. Oh yes says Mr Park, so you can't have it.

Trudged a mile back to the office rather deflated, my boss wanted a go with it too. Then there was the confirmation email from Oly timed at 11.58 to the dealer and myself and the request for a utility bill. Sorry guys, been there once, you bring it to me if you want to sell me one. Can they really afford incompetence?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Stupid. They could put a pre-authorisation on a credit card as security.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No wonder sales are falling...
    (That was my best DM reader impression)
    Frustrating is a polite word for it.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I can see why they'd want to have proof of identity and particularly address but as Pete says why not just put a deposit on a credit card? They can check the card's yours with a photo ID.

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have no paper utility bills, I do it on line and direct debit.
    I think I get a notification once a year for water rates.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

All the utility bills are either in my wife or my boss/landlords name. I dont have a passport and I still have a paper driving licence.The only I.D. with my picture on is my Longleat annual pass. I won't be having a borrow of anything soon.

7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

On the Olympus site it does say under Terms and Conditions of Test & Wow :

3. The customer has to leave his or her credit card details, a copy of an identity proof, e.g. his/her ID card (or driver’s licence), and a copy of a utility bill with the dealer for the period of testing the product.

8. RovingMike

Yes that's what I was told by the shop originally, that they would take a credit card for the full amount as security and then rip it up.

9. RovingMike

Aha, so I missed that. I went with what the dealer told me about it, but really my main issue is the email confirmation to the dealer and myself at 2 mins to 12 on the day, when I booked on 24th April.

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Terry, think Local Authority have to notify you in writing of the Council Tax charge and this should count as a utility bill. Cheers, Oly

11. RovingMike

Well Clare from Oly has been on very early and apologised because the system in Germany went down. Offered to bring one round even. As I am off to Lisbon Sunday and wanted to try something out in my old Alfama haunts, I think I'll stop faffing about and just buy one with the pancake that I can stick in my briefcase.
    So all sorted.

12. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

That Clare is very persuasive! Hope you like it & have a good trip. No pun intended but a chuckle never hurt anyone. Cheers, Oly