1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test: the absolutely anything thread.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Atavar, Oct 7, 2014.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Our solicitors, who are local and they've done our wills in the past, initially quoted us a total £2000 for the conveyancing for both selling and purchasing. A friend of mine who's a letting agent in another area recommended a solicitors where he works in Preston. They quoted us £1500. Our local solicitors price matched that, so in a matter of seconds reduced their price by 25%. Shows how much they are ripping us off for as they will still be making a tidy profit from that no doubt. Our estate agents, part of the Countrywide group, want you to use their solicitors. They get awful reviews on the interweb yet their quote was £3,500. Unbelievable!

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, much the same here. Local, done our wills, and yet the price is much the same as yours - probably more, come to think about it. Since the property I am moving into is currently now empty, I asked whether the solicitor has a key, since I want to get someone in to do some accurate floorplans. No answer as yet! She was too miffed about the change of completion date, I think. You've got to chip, chip, chip away at them to get them moving!!

3. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

For my house sale last March, solicitors fee £1032 agents £2520 (1%), from initial listing to completion took just over a year, 5 offers fell through for various reasons like surveys or mortgage problems. I avoided the big chain agents, used a local one the family have used on and off since before WW2, used their recommended solicitor.

4. dream_police

We have done quite well time wise. We went on the market 6th Feb and sold on the 15th March having turned down another offer in that time. We agreed a 1% fee (inc VAT) after initially stating 1% plus VAT. Again money for old rope really. What really gets me though is the percentage fee. Why should anyone pay more for them selling their house just because their house is more expensive?

mediaman likes this.
  5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Simple - they try to get as much as they can for you that way. Otherwise, they would constantly try to get you to drop the price to sell more quickly.

6. dream_police

True to some extent but for every 50K you drop only costs them £500, so the buyer loses a lot but them quite little. They want sold signs not just money. In our experience they were talking about price reduction after only a few weeks. Wouldn't mind as such but they are the ones who priced it. We accepted a lower offer (not reduced in price) but I did actually think ours was overpriced anyway. It worked out though as we got a lower offer accepted on hers, and as it is a house swap all we needed was the cost to change.

7. Catriona

Let's face it. Housing transactions are just money-making exercises for lawyers/solicitors/paralegals/surveyors and if you are lucky, yourself. Totally frustrating. My biggest gripe is with surveyors, who can use (and abuse) phrases like - I suspect, or there is a possibility - without any come-back from the house owner. Money for old rope. I'm just glad my buyer is a builder - and he just laughed incredulously (with a few choice adjectives) at the pathetic report on my old house.

8. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Think I've seen it all now; hottest day of the year at 21C, and I get an email notification from the MO
    "Amber Warning of Snow for London & South East England
    Amber Warning of Snow for London & South East England : Bracknell Forest, Buckinghamshire, Greater London, Hampshire, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Reading, Slough, Surrey, West Berkshire, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham valid from 2100 Thu 05 May to 2200 Thu 05 May"

Huh?

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I think someone's pulling your todger - there's nothing on the MO website.

S

10. Catriona

Sounds like Island weather to me...
    I did read something today which made me laugh - and think of a certain RH and a recent comment:

Did you hear about the bass player who got so depressed about his bad timing - he threw himself behind a train. Haha! Tickled me anyway.

mediaman likes this.
  11. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'm going to use that!

mediaman likes this.
  12. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Unless it was test message that got out by mistake.. MO Notification.jpg

13. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

14. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Metro newspaper this a.m. - front page: Leica M series. :)

O.K., it is a digital M. :(

But :) anyway.

15. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Come on - give us a clue! We don't all see the Metro.

16. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

or the goalkeeper who was so depressed by his recent performances in games that he threw himself in front of a bus... but it slipped under him.

mediaman likes this.
  17. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

That is wicked, but I like it :)

18. dream_police

School reports......

As I'm sorting through over 20 years worth of stuff prior to our house move, I have come across an old suitcase containing stuff belonging to my dad who died 26 years ago. In it are some of my school reports from the 1970's/80's.
    God they were honest back then. No mincing words and trying not to upset the pupil. They were not bad reports really, just honest!

19. Catriona

Today it is too hot to go out. Did for a short while and face burnt already. As for the pollen? Don't ask... What a change in the weather!!

20. dream_police

F*&%&*g typical. We move out on Weds and I wake up today to water dripping through my recessed lights in the kitchen. Bloody shower pump was leaking. Now got to sort that out before Weds so the ceiling doesn't look a mess. :mad: