1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terry Pratchett's Unpublished Work...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishboy, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Nice. I think making sure the job's done properly is very important. Not quite so sure how I feel about the bits of hard drive being treated as relics. Seems an odd thing to want to go and see. But then I suppose we queue up to see bits of pharoah grafitti so why not?

3. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

....or the teeth of the Buddha. Or, at least I did until I realised that there were so many Tooth Relic Temples that the guy must have had far more than a full set.

Geren likes this.
  4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

In the Middle Ages someone worked out a few years back there were enough fragments of the True Cross in circulation to have made at least 3 crosses

5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Well according to the legend there were three crosses on Golgotha that day... ;)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

He'd need them. His followers seem to have an elastic understanding of "Buddhism forbids all forms of violence". :(

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

Partly 'cos it doesn't. For example, if by killing one mass murderer you can save 10, 100 or 1000 or more lives, that violence is better than doing nothing. Source: HH Dalai Lama, and he should know.

Cheers,

R.

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Added to Rogers point, there is also an acceptance of violence in defence, albeit from very early readings. It's interesting. You should read up on it.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There are the theories of religion and the practices. The reality is that the Buddhists give a home to the vicious just like any other bunch of believers. Their "non-violence" wasn't very obvious in Japan during the expansion of the Japanese empire and it isn't very obvious in Myanmar or Thailand at the moment. They're no worse than any other group but neither are they better so far as I can see.