1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Fen, May 1, 2014.

1. miked

miked Well-Known Member

The very best of luck to you too, Kate. I just hope your image of the dentist is suitably bloody and macabre, but who will be the subject of his surgical procedure, I wonder?

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike! No, it's the time to tweak a couple of old fillings and de-tea/coffee/fag stain them. :)
    The macabre bit has all been done before... My dentist is nice!!

Kate

3. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Good grief, Kate, were you watching me type over my shoulder. Best of luck, gal.

4. Catriona

Oh my!
    Doing a photo session tomorrow with a young female neighbour. I'm a little nervous...
    Hope I get something. :)
    Kate

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

At least a cup of tea and and slice of Dundee cake, hopefully?

6. Catriona

What? I have to feed her as well? Oh dear. :eek:
    PS One thing I am noticing about previous years' winning shots is that there is a different feel to them all. Hard to know which direction to take.
    Luckily she has great facial bone features and eyes, so I have no bother there. The worst thing to think about is lighting... I know that's the key.

Kate

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  7. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I'm still of the opinion that Taylor-Wessing rhymes with depressing.
    Incidentally, looking at the 3rd placed APOY 2014 Round 2 image of lady with ferrets I reckon it is perfect material for T-W.

8. Catriona

I so agree with your final comment.
    Do you know, the more I look at the different year's images though, the more I like some.
    I think the year I actively disliked was 2010/11 where none of them appealed to me.
    It is unpredictable though, so there's always hope that I can hit the right note. I can only do what appeals to me. It's a shame I haven't looked out hubby's old Canon 7D and some of his lenses yet to really try them out. I'm too much of a Nikon freak. :rolleyes:

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Ditto.

Oh no... Are you becoming one of them... a modern conceptual photographer ;)

There has been some images over the years that made me wonder if I should ever use a camera again as I obviously wasn't the type of person who could think these were good photographs. But I find there are one or two from each year that I like.

And that's how it should be. We should keep our individuality and express it in our art. Sorry... in our photography!

Stick to the Nikon... you know it makes sense ;)

Good luck tomorrow, not that you'll need it as you'll fly through it :D

10. Catriona

Thanks very much for your encouragement, Fen.

Conceptual? Moi? Maybe... :)

Kate

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Kate,

If the publicity photo for this year's comp plus the two previous winners is anything to go by then some orange in the photo appears to be mandatory! :D

Hope it's a good shoot. Any pets or animals, dead or alive, available? That might help, too.

Cheers,
    Oly

12. miked

miked Well-Known Member

As I'm always willing to help an old RAF colleague, here's a shot of some roadkill I took.. Feel free to use this within your image, Kate.:)
    [​IMG]
    http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/MikeD640/media/rogered_zps7d2ca158.jpg.html[/IMG]

13. Catriona

That's horrid, Mike!
    I'm betting there is going to be a feel-good factor this year. Mine are movement related so far. Qigong session and with a very slim, fit, half marathon running mother of three. I'm setting an example. :)
    Kate

14. miked

miked Well-Known Member

15. Catriona

Well, as long as it's in the required time frame ( a living sitter and after Jan 2013) why not have a go? I'm sticking to my guns - and my own style. :)

Kate

16. Catriona

Sent off today (before I changed my mind).

Anyone else?

Kate

17. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Wahooo. Well Done :)

Do you have to send in a photo release form yet, or is that only if you get long-listed?

Will be taking mine later this week depending on work.

And then it will be a nervous wait... until 13th August!

18. Catriona

Good luck Fen. :)
    I looked again at the rules and it would only be if you were long-listed, I think. It's strange, I thought they had one which could be downloaded, but on reflection, I think that might have been a local competition I'm remembering.

I really don't think I need worry - haha! You should, though - yours is a cracker!

Kate

19. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

*Ulp!*

Tomorrow is results day...

Best of luck Kate :)

20. Catriona

Aw shucks! My heart flipped! I thought you had heard a day early. (Be still my beating heart!). :eek:
    The very best of luck to you Fen. If there's any justice in the art world, you should coast it!

Kate
    PS I've just entered one into the NPG's comp A Room of one's own - http://npgwoolf.tumblr.com/ - well, it was on the NPG's Facebook page. It hasn't gone through the moderator yet. Another waiting game. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014