1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Fen, May 1, 2014.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this competition for a while now and even worked out what photograph I would submit if I did enter this year. So when the email arrived this afternoon saying that the call for entries this years Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize was open, I rushed over to the website.

I read through the rules again and then opened the link to the Entry Form. Filled it in, paid the fee and sent it off!

Just need to get the print of the photograph I want to enter done and take it to the submissions department in July.

No turning back now... In the words of Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap... "Oh Boy!"

Anyone else thought of entering?

http://www.npg.org.uk/photoprize1/site14/index.php

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I had considered it, though £26 is a fair bit of moolah to shell out.

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Not really for a comp of this size.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I hope the sitter was suitably serious. :rolleyes:
    Best of luck to you.
    I would if I had taken anything decent in the portrait world, but losing my only subject has been hard. I haven't been able to twist anyone else's arm yet...

Kate

5. beatnik69

True, but I'm tight as a duck's arse. :)

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Best of luck, Fen. I do hope that you've managed to find an image of some dour, morose, even unhappy character among your excellent portfolio, as 'miserable' seems to be the abiding theme of this particular competition.

7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I'd call it 'deadpan' rather than 'miserable' and having actually seen the 2013 exhibition I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. In the world of painting I'd be hard pressed - Laughing Cavalier aside - to name any prortraits of a happy sitter!

Best of luck, Fen.

Alan.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Likewise. I went in somewhat a cynic and came out rather inspired!

9. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I'm in one of those "all my stuff is ****" phases, no not tempted to enter at all lol

10. Catriona

Can't remember when I last saw beatnik in here, but his portrait of his son Darcey was a winner in my book.
    Must try and twist a close friend's arm and take some portraits again. I miss doing it.

11. beatnik69

Ahem, daughter. ;) She did have very short, boyish hair at the time but decided she wanted to grow it as too many people were calling here a little boy - it also didn't help that she hates wearing dresses or skirts. :D

12. Catriona

Oops! Bad Kate. A tomboy then? Good for her. :)
    Kate

13. beatnik69

Very much so. She loves superheroes, swords, guns, cars and hates dolls. :D

14. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Kate,
    You had the idea ...

'I'd try to do a piece on the remaining fishermen here. Their days, out on the sea, the markets etc.
    I guess that might be a bit boring, all that sea - but I would try to get some good portraits. :)

Kate'

... go for it! You can do it - you've had other acceptances.
    :D
    Oly

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Probably the best time to have a go, Phil, bearing in mind the TW judging. Something you don't rate because it doesn't 'fit' where you are right at this moment may be what they are looking for. :)

16. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Totally agree :)

Thanks for the comments folks. Will keep you informed of any progress...

17. Catriona

Thanks all for encouragement too.
    I've twisted sommeone's arm to let me shoot at her Qigong session this friday - and afterwards too. Got some ideas, but any more are gratefully received.

Good luck Fen - already taken? Or still to do?

18. Catriona

One thing I notice is that the print sizes are not standard looking sizes. There seems quite a bit of freedom in formats used.

19. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Thank you. I've already got the photograph I want to submit. Just seeing what paper to get it printed on :)

20. Catriona

Hmm yes, I've been looking too. Must admit I'm always drawn to the fine art stuff.