1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Exhibition - NPG, London.

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by AlanW, Nov 1, 2014.

1. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Re: Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Exhibition - NPG, Londo

I think that Taylor Wessing photographs are a bit too miserable for AP. They are more BJP.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

'Struth! Stella has two large caterpillars on her eyebrows!
    Ah well, nothing significantly different this year. I still think Fen's should have rated as much as any of the winners, but I guess he (his model) wasn't miserable enough.

SSDY

Kate

4. miked

miked Well-Known Member

As I've long thought - Taylor-Wessing equals distressing. Rarely have I ever liked many of the images from this competition, they are of the (as photographer Tim Clinch says) the 'miserable bastard' school.

5. Catriona

I reckon they are even worse this year than last year. Not what we need on a dark winter's night.

Kate

6. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Actually, I was fairly impressed with last year's Exhibition, I reckon seeing them in a gallery beats online any day of the week and having the backstory certainly adds something. I'll wait until I have a chance to see them in the flesh before passing judgement, assuming they make it to Edinburgh! Then again, I'm a fan of the deadpan aesthetic :) . . . . . or should that be :(

Anyway, the guy in the yellow chair seems to be happy, wonder how that one slipped in?

Alan.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Does anyone else feel that the West Midlands Police would have been in with a chance of being shortlisted with their photograph of Will Cornick ?

More seriously the shortlisted pictures(which were not shown in the linked slideshow) were good, after allowing for reproduction on computer screens and in magazines. Its just that they are good but miserable.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  8. Catriona

9. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

The "reasoning" behind the choice of the winner will make interesting reading...

But as always: If you don't agree or "get it", then clearly you have no artistic values worthy of expression :rolleyes:

10. Catriona

Oh, bog standard artistic merit me! Haha!

Kate

11. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

I can't comment on the Taylor Wessing pictures yet having not seen them but on previous years experience I probably won't be too disappointed. I must defend the NPG gallery however which is definitely my favourite London gallery and always provides something of interest. If I'm in the area and I will be on Saturday to see the Chris Stein exhibition at Somerset House I always pop in and not just to use the loos. It and the photographers Gallery are always worth a browse and in the case of the PG a stop for coffee and a bun.

12. Catriona

http://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ait-prize-2014-the-winner-in-pictures?index=1

13. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I rather like the winner. It has the look of an old religious painting, along the lines of Peter Paul Reubens' 'Adoration of the Magi' or
    Da Vinci's 'Madonna of the Rocks'. Too many of the others do seem to be of the TW Miserablist school of photography but the one of the holy man is lovely.

14. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Saw the Chris Stein exhibition today - I thought it was excellent, some of the prints are huge. If you have time there a good music photography exhibition on at the Getty Gallery that is worth a look.
    http://gettyimagesgallery.com/exhibitions/archive/michael-putland.aspx

15. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Went along today, there a quite a few miserable portraits as previewed but I would say that a lot of them work far better when viewed full size and at print quality. As for the winner - it's both beautifully lit and composed - I would say both being far too good for it to be the snap shot claimed.

16. Phil Kirk

Phil Kirk Well-Known Member

I agree that the winner seemed too good to be a snapshot, but what a wonderful picture it is. Sadly that was one of very few that I liked much. There were a couple that I wouldn't even describe as portraits at all. Very few would get to the latter stages of our local club competitions, let alone a prestigious national one.

17. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Phil,

What is the Taylor Wessing prize if not a prestigious competition?

I hold no brief for the Taylor Wessing prize but to suggest that the standard of a competition run by the National Portrait Gallery is somehow inferior to a regional camera club suggests a somewhat parochial viewpoint. Maybe your local camera clubs are suffering from (a) lack of imagination and (b) hardening of the categories.

Cheers,

R.