1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taylor Wessing 2019 shortlist

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Catriona, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

RovingMike and spinno like this.
  2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Is the lady dead in the second picture?

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Only 3 entrants I presume.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

Haha!
    Gross aren't they? The seaside poster/postcard/Martin Parr is interesting - but portrait? Hmm.

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I like the car one quite a lot but as you say, not quite portrait. The other two, well..

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

another planet

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Even for the TW I'd call that lot off the wall.

Adrian
    (who had the temerity to like the kid with the guinea pig)

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Whoever wrote the notes for the second one is completely out of it. A pseud of the tenth dan.

Completely mind boggling, but well down to TW's usual standard of self-delusion.

Catriona likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

"Bowes work is concerned with storytelling and the search for light and beauty in the ordinary."

Much like *NEARLY EVER PHOTOGRAPHER*

"Free from political and geographical context, the photographs speak of longing, yearning, aspirations and vulnerabilities of young people in Belfast today"

Yeh, I totally got that from the picture with 'a saturated colour palette and limited symbolism'.

"shows a family of individual personalities"

Only if you print it 10 foot wide so you can actually see the people.

Catriona and SqueamishOssifrage like this.
  10. RovingMike

In contrast, The London Salon opened yesterday and is worth a visit if you are in the area. I was there with Chris Palmer, who was getting a medal and enjoyed the pics, despite all my rejections. I must learn what is in their minds, but I can see the difference. I thought many looked more like what comes out of a computer than a camera and we agreed there were two complete duds on the wall, but far more brilliant things to make up for it. It is at The Burt Gallery, 57 & 62 Union Street, Bankside, London, SE1, about 5 mins from London Bridge Station and handy for Borough Market, if you like that kind of subject. Not open at weekends :(

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Different year, same old...;)

Of course because we don't see any merit in this stuff you do realise we are a bunch of complete philistines?... :D

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I can't be a Philistine...my name's David

Zou, SqueamishOssifrage and Catriona like this.
  13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Maybe you'll find this shortlist more to your taste? Even if it is an RPS one. ;)

spinno and Catriona like this.
  14. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I live in Belfast and that photograph tells me absolutely nothing about the City and next nothing about the lad in it (except that he's going to get some nasty sunburn if he doesn't have any lotion on)

EightBitTony likes this.
  15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Does the sun ever shine in Belfast ? I've never seen a weather forecast that says it does

16. RovingMike

Quite. The secret with TW is to take some very bland shots and make up some very imaginative text by way of intentions. In short, you remove the creativity from what you shoot and inject it into what you write about it.

beatnik69 likes this.
  17. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

It does on the odd occasion. I got quite bad sunburn two Sundays ago. I was playing in a charity football tournament and the forecast was for overcast skies all day. We go blazing sunshine and I was roasted.

spinno and Catriona like this.
  18. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Speaking of Martin Parr......he just walked past me! :)

Catriona likes this.
  19. Catriona

Was that after he took your picture?? ;) You should follow him.

AlanW likes this.
  20. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I note that the web page states 'The following photographers have been shortlisted for the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2019'. So are these images of the photographers, or is this just more lazy grammar?

Assuming lazy grammar, and that these are examples of the photographers' work, I remain underwhelmed.
    No doubt being shortlisted will earn them some pages in AP for us to briefly glance at before looking for something more interesting.