1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talacre Lighthouse none HDR

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Dougall, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Dougall

Dougall Well-Known Member

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

See that looks like a photograph. :)

The sky still works. It's a place you like to be at for some peace and quiet.

Also your copyright name is much more discreet. :cool:
  3. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

No need for HDR, no burn out no blocked in, just a pleasant picture of a nice place :)
  4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Vastly better. The HRD version is a total loser in competition, or for most uses.
  5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

A nice shot. I think it works a lot better without the HDR.

Still not sure if the horizon's quite level though - seems slightly high on the right, even allowing for the far coastline.
  6. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Wow! That's more like it (well, much more to my taste anyhow ;))
    The elements of the shot speak for themselves and, aside from a very nit-picky sliver cropped off the bottom (I'd put the shadow of the long rectangular rock at the bottom of the frame and do away with the one under the water), it works really well.
    Non-HDR wins the day!!;);)
  7. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

That's so much better and the colours aren't fighting each other.
  8. cyb

cyb Well-Known Member

whilst I didn't dislike the HDR version this is so, so much better and makes a picture you can be proud of. Compared to the hdr1 picture you posted its a no brainer as to which is best :)

...but kill the watermark its pointless, 2 seconds with the cloning tool and its gone. If you must have one make it useful, use an email, web address or contact point.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  9. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

yes thins is much better. If you really want to go "other worldly" with it why not try a high contrast B&W conversion with a red filter to make the sky go very dark
  10. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

much much better than the hdr shot.
  11. Brendan1980

Brendan1980 Well-Known Member

I liked the HDR...but HDR only works in certain conditions and done with minimal effect....this photo CLEARLY didn't need it at all. It's a great image all on it's own.
  12. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The lighthouse tower works well and the sky is sort of OK but the foreground rocks and sand etc are flat and uninteresting. If you aren't going to HDR it (which, for the foreground would work well) then it needs some work in levels or curves to provide a bit of mid-range oomph
  13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Like this maybe? Probably too far, but no way is HDR needed.

14. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

That's more like it Mike. Although, as you say, a bit too far. I tried messing with the image myself, just to give some idea of what I meant, but I don't know how to upload images to this forum
  15. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I agree with that - but HDR is not the way to accomplish that, as it does precisely the opposite and flattens the mid tones significantly.
  16. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

a mono alternative.

It’s interesting that ramping the contrast up as uncovered some artefacts/halos round the tower. Are these echoes of earlier edits

17. dennis72

dennis72 Well-Known Member

Those halos really stand out in the high contrast image also a number of spots and artifacts in the sky. I know this really is nit-picking but my eye keeps being drawn to the wind farm on the left horizon.