1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

taking pics

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by nps, Jan 14, 2013.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Not sure I would put it blankly like that after your helpful foregoing words.

St Ansel of Carmel ;) was, I believe, fond of the maxim 'Chance favours the prepared mind.' :)

2. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

Like any advice, consider it with a dash of salt. I just found I get much better images when I planned and set myself goals and targets. The number of really great opportunities I've missed because I ran around thinking there must be something better, I usually viewed these from the windscreen of my car as I sped to where I thought "the grass might be greener"! Ha ha!

I tried to do a 365 project last year, really thought the whole thing might make me more spontaneous. I tried, no honestly I did really try! I had to quit after 40 days though as I just couldn't handle the snapshot feel of most of my images I was coming home with. Spontineity is just not my thing! Ha ha!

As Ansel said, "Twelve significant photographs in any oneyear is a good crop". Everyone has to find their own way to do what they do best, I just found that some self-imposed boundaries helped me immensely to concentrate my focus and bring home shots I was happier with, not satisfied I might add, just happier! :D

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

To be honest, that's my favourite form of photography; I love the challenge, and it spurs me to look harder. It's not always successful, but I think it's been vital for developing my photographic vision.

4. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

are we really not getting a lot more involved than the OP requested?

Just get an Idiots Guide to DSLRs then go out snapping some photos - once the basics have been learned, then the skills can be worked on, but you need a starting point

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I believe he also said something along the lines of "Sometimes I think God arranges nature in the perfect way just in time for me to turn up and click the shutter".

And also, possibly more helpful to the OP, "A good photograph is knowing where to stand".

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

In all honesty, no, I don't think we are.

7. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Beginners guides to all things bright and beautiful

Beginners DSLR, CSC, Bridge or Compact tutorial to get you on the right track!
    Just got a new DSLR, CSC, Bridge or compact? Then take a look at Canons basic tutorials and learn how to use your camera.
    This applies to all makes of camera, but you can skip to part 2 when you've seen enough.

In Part 2 you can learn how to get the most out of your photography and find out about ISO, Exposure, Depth of Field, Aperture priority, Shutter priority etc in picture form
    Click for tutorial

Ron Bigelow's fabulous articles
    All you'd ever want to know Click me

Over 70 bite size Photography Tips, Techniques, and Tutorials
    Click to start

And don't forget. Post processing is an important part of photography and should be used to sharpen and enhance pictures taken with your camera. If you don't have an imaging editor, then use the one in my signature below. There are 32 video tutorials-Clicky to get you started. The most useful is the Adjusting levels-Clicky and for even more adjustment. The Curves tool-Clicky is a must (it's my favourite all-in-one adjuster). My Resize-Crop-Sharpen tutorial below, will get your pics ready for the internet or whatever :cool:

Cheers!

8. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

Don't forget, for screw-in filters, different lenses have different screw thread diameters. Filters come in a range of sizes to suit these different lens diameters, so if you're going to buy a filter, make sure it's the right diameter for your lens. Sorry, I don't know what the kit lens with the K30 is, so you'll have to look it up!

9. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I think the bestr advise I cn give is: Look at lots of photos.

Where most newbies (and experienced photographers) struggle is with the "what" not the "how"

The "how is just technique and learning a few basic rules. It can be done very quickly.

The what takes decades to perfect, and you never really do.

So what kind of pictures do you like, within a genre why do you like some more than others, what makes picture a better than picture b....

Every time I see an image this is what I'm thinking - what do i like about, what don't i like, why does it work, can I see how it was shot, and 1000 other small details.

start doing that, and learn "what" you want to shoot, and the how will just follow on :D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  10. nps

nps Well-Known Member

cheers chaps for the replies and tips, there is too much to quote on so its just a thankyou

the camera sill be here next week so ill be back to this thread many many times to re read all the tips

soon as it arrives i think im going to concentrate on the f numbers first off then move on to something else

nearly bought a lens hood glad i didnt after reading that there might be one in the box

11. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Good man.

12. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

52mm for the Pentax 18-55 WR kit lens that I believe the OP mentioned he's ordered. Personally, I think that the Marumi DHG Circular Polarisers give the best performance for a not too extreme price.

Note that you can get adapter rings to allow you to fit filters on lenses with different sized threads, but if you put a smaller filter on a larger lens, you're likely to get dark corners to your pictures ("vignetting").

13. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Some are born to it. Some learn and come to it. Me I just keep trying.

14. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: taking pics - alanclifford, snorri

Indeed, Alan, and I totally agree with Snorri :) In fact, I remember reading an interview with Alfred Eisenstaedt, when he was in his 90's and was asked how/why he was still taking (a paraphrase of the question) and his answer (and I paraphrase) was, "... because I like going out and taking pictures...". If it works for Mr. Eisenstaedt, it definitely works for me :)

Cheers,

jack

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Perhaps, but, advice is like money, it's not bad to have a tad more than less :)

Jack

16. nps

nps Well-Known Member

right chaps the camera has arrived, ive charged the battery (it doesnt last very long) learned how to fit the lens lol.

Ive not been out with it yet so not taken any pics yet, well apart from in the living room lol Ive not messed with the ISO, OR f numbers or anything yet think im just gonna go with the 'live view' for a bit with the odd adjustment, just need to get the feel for the camera first has its all a bit daunting at the minute:eek:

im looking to buy some things for it, It came with a lens hood:) so i dont need to buy one of those. Things like a battery cradle, a/some very good memory card/s (advice welcome because there are loads and loads) and a bag, i want a bag that lets me keep the lens attached with some good pockets to carry other things in it too like my money, cigs, and all the other little things you carry while on holiday but, BUT i dont want a massive one lol Also can anyone please tell me if its possible to buy a lens cap that has a strap kind of thing on because ill end up losing it

cheers chaps

17. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Happy new camera day!

Memory cards, well, I prefer known brands, but the main thing is to takr class 10 cards as you don't want the camera waiting for the card.
    I still feel and always come back to Lowepro TLZ 1 it is just so easy to take with me. I got 4 camera bags but I usually end up using the TLZ 1 if I am going for a walk.
    Not a lens cap no, but you can buy the string thingy and atach it to your lens and cap, so I guess that is what younare looking for :rolleyes:

I suggest using the viewfinder, it (for me atleast) makes things so much easier and faster.

18. nps

nps Well-Known Member

do all cards have takr numbers wrote on them? is that the 'C' the a number in it that i sometimes see?

ill have a look at that bag

there isnt anywhere to attach a string to the lens cap :( what do you do with your lens cap while taking pics while walking about?

19. nps

nps Well-Known Member

forgot to ask and it wont let me edit

am i best getting a SD, SDHC or a Flash Card

20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Read the manual. It will tell you what cards the camera can read. You don't really need a lenscap on a string, just take it off and put it in the bag. Bags - no bag you ever buy will be perfect and most people end up with several so get one that is big enough for what you have now and be prepared to buy more in the future. Always try before you buy even if pulling all the wadding out is a bit embarrassing in a busy shop.