1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Take part in round 4 of APOY - By the Sun and the Moon

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

2. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

Quick question ~ is candle light allowed? (i'm not sure if that fits in under fire light or banned as artificial!) thanks

3. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

Wow if that's your response to a compliment, I'd hate to see your reaction to something negative. I made a light hearted comment, mocking my own lack of ability / progress by suggesting I should change my name to yours or Dan's because you both do very well in each APOY round.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Never mind Lucie. We'll do it on our own anyway!

Entered mine. Luckily I had been taking some with a view to Taylor Wessing... but we'll see if I send anything off in July!

Best of luck to you. A sense of humour is sometimes not shared by everyone - I should know only too well!

Kate
    alias The Tamed Shrew. :cool:

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

aka, "the shrewd untamed".. . .

6. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Kate, much appreciated
    I'm still a bit in shock by the reaction, but best to just move on. Onwards and hopefully in APOY terms, upwards! I haven't got anything for June yet...several ideas but I need a willing model... Good luck to you too
    :D

7. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

"The point of this round is to get you working with different forms of natural light in order to create beautiful portraits, whoever your subject may be. This means working with sunlight, firelight and even moonlight. One of the most interesting ways of achieving a natural-light portrait is by working with window light."

You should be ok with a candle according APOY write-up tips... ...oops. Just realised you had mentioned firelight in earlier posting.

Can anyone at AP clarify perhaps? Cheers

Peter

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  8. chrisevans

chrisevans Well-Known Member

COLOUR or BLACK and WHITE? HELP

The forum info said it could be used to help with picture selection.

I've set my goal to shoot for each round specifically, which is great fun and a justifiable excuse to get the camera out.

The hard part is the picture choice after snapping…?

[​IMG]

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That is the question... and part of the exercise.

10. chrisevans

Hi Catriona

As a junior member to a wiser senior member and following in this forums advise

"…get help picking pictures..."

how would you advise, based on the Black and White or Colour shots presented?

Your time and consideration is appriciated.

Chris

11. PMurrell

Hi Chris,

Both are terrific portraits. The colour appears to have more of a warmth and depth feel to it than the b&w. But the decision is yours.

12. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

Well, round 4 is in. At least I didn't wait until the last few days like in the first 3 rounds :)

13. chrisevans

Cheers bugeye, I think your right, warmth, colour and I guess a smile is better, more positive. Much appreciated.
    Chris

14. PMurrell

You're welcome. As long as you are happy with your decision.