1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Take part in APOY Round 8 - Wideangle World

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Chrissie_Lay, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

2. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

Photo sent and acknowledged :)

Just two more to go.....

3. Aga n Chickens

Aga n Chickens Well-Known Member

I was thinking a trying a pan stitch photograph for this round after reading how to do this in a recent edition of the magazine, but when I try to limit the long edge to 3000 pixels I lose clarity and definition:( Is there a way to keep the size within the rules and still have a decent photograph ? Cheers Christine

4. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

It's difficult to say why your images lack clarity when you resize to 3000 pixels. It might be that when you reduce the size of an image you lose clarity but that can usually be rectified with a bit of sharpening. If you're upsizing to 3000 pixels that would definitely cause a lack of clarity but this seems unlikely as you're making a pan stitch and the image size is usually huge. If you post a link to an example, we could give more help.

When I stitch together a panorama I usually use the free software autostitch (I find autostitch works better than the photomerge function in my very old version of photoshop). This what I do:

1. I edit the photos in Nikon's basic raw converter View NX. I make exactly the same adjustments to all the images.
    2. I then convert the images to jpegs (autostitch can only handle jpegs) labeling them pano1, pano2 etc. and put them in new folder for that particular pan stitch image.
    3. Then I open autostitch and click the edit tab. In edit, I change scale from 10% to 100% (to make a full size pano because I prefer to resize the image myself later) and press OK. I leave all the other edit settings on default.
    4. Then I click file and open the images and let the autostitch software do its thing. It might take 5 or so minutes maybe more depending on the number of images being joined.
    5. When the software is done, I edit the full image in photoshop. First I crop away the black area and tweak levels and curves. Then I resize it to 3000 pixels or however big I want to print it. Then I sharpen the image.

This may seem a long winded approach but as I do very few panos I don't really mind. Here's a link to a few I did using this method. http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/yebisu1666333/library/Pano Examples Here's the link for the free autostitch software http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/brown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  5. Aga n Chickens

Thank you for the link to autostitch Jebisu. I usually download my photographs into View NX and send them to a folder on my PC as jpegs, then have a fiddle with them in Photoshop. I haven't spent much time with the software that came with my Nikon Coolpix 510, but I'll have a look at what I can find out about the raw date and follow your advice. I'm still a bit unsure about resizing using photoshop, so up until now I have converted the pixel count using the paint program in windows. I'll use the files I had in my panstitch and run them through the autostitch program and have a play with that output in photoshop and see it that gets round the problem. Kind regards,Christine

6. TheAlex

TheAlex Well-Known Member

I have a question about the rules for this round. I use a compact camera (Canon G1 X) and on my preferred photo for this round (unless I change my mind) I've used a bit of zoom. Will that disqualify me?

This is what the competition page says:

"Any subject will do - so long as it is a wideangle view."

"for this round we want you either to restrict yourself to using a wideangle lens or try your hand at producing a panoramic view."

I can't go back and reshoot. I know I could remove the EXIF and pretend it was taken with the wideangle, but I don't want to cheat!

7. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

TBH Alex I do not feel that 20:00hrs on a Friday was the best time for this enquiry ;)

I'd advise that you check my signature and contact AP editorial on Monday - during office hours. Unless staff holidays etc. intervene you should receive a prompt reply :)

Regards
    m

8. Aga n Chickens

Phew....at last. Photograph sorted, sent, and acknowledged :)

9. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

I never get anywhere in competitions but it's free to enter so I thought stuff it, I'll give it go for a laugh!

10. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

That's how I think too. Just give it go... what's the worst that can happen? I haven't got anything for this round yet, though ;)