1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tablet or laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by SimboRS, Jul 18, 2017.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My most used computer is a MacBook Pro, I have a 960 GB SSD and I regularly transfer my photographs to an Apple AirPort 2GB device, I also have a 2GB portable hard drive on which I also store my photographs storage isn't a problem.

As I see it the problem with an iPad or iPad Pro is that you can't run the same image editing programs that you would on a PC or Mac which may limit your ability to get the best out of your images. Given the choice I would use a computer over a tablet, especially an iPad, simply because the storage options are so much wider, unless you are prepared to pay for a cloud based storage solution and the transfer time that implies.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Suppose he wants to use Nikon Capture or something else obscure? Light Room and Photoshop aren't cheap.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Depends what you mean by cheap. If anyone drinks shop bought coffee, Lightroom and Photoshop are 5 of those a month.

PhotoEcosse and Geren like this.
  5. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Have you checked out the windows multifunction Surface range? They would run photoshop etc if required.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Personally I think Photoshop is massively over specified for anything I want to do. I haven't tried Lightroom. I am not convinced by the subscription model of software pricing and I don't drink Coffee so I can't give up five of those a month.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Standalone LR has not been so bad. They have always offered users a discount upgrade price between major versions so I reckon it has been significantly less than the subscription price. I think I started with version 3, now on 6.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

PSE plus ACR? And maybe Adobe DNG Converter if your version of PSE/ACR doesn't support your particular camera's raw format? Like mine. :rolleyes:

Quite cheap and not (as) over-specified.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Thanks both but I am quite happy with Nikon Capture NX2 at the moment, when the time comes that it won't run on MacOS I'll have to find something that supports the Nix plug-ins

10. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

As I've stated elsewhere I'm still using Micrografx Picture Publisher V10, I have to run it under an XP emulator on Win 7 but it does most if not more than many of us need in post, I still think it has the best clone tool I've come across. For me the other big advantage is that I've been using it since V2 in about 1991 or '92, it came with my first scanner so I've already climbed the learning curve. It is still available, now as a free download from a few sites.