1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tablet or laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by SimboRS, Jul 18, 2017.

1. SimboRS

SimboRS Member

As a newcomer to photography I recently bought myself a Nikon 3400. I have an iPad Air currently and was going to get a new iPad Pro. I don't really need a computer for anything other than just surfing the net, watching Netflix etc. And for this reason I love the iPad. However it seems that the iPad is fairly restricted when it comes to photos. I was trying to get a photo printed from photobox and best high quality image they could get me was A4 size.thy think it's because the iPad must be compressing the photo.
    So should i go ahead with ththe new iPad or should I look for a laptop, a desktop isn't suitable as I have no space for one.
    Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap laptop that would be suitable for photo only stuff??

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If you want to do any serious post-processing then you will need a computer and monitor. Ipads are great - I use an ipad2 which is still going strong - for browsing.

Before you blame the ipad check what your camera settings are because there are in-camera options to control the size and compression of jpgs which could be the root of your problem especially if you are just passing the image on. Generally you want the largest file possible (which eats the fixed storage available in an ipad). If you have an app on the ipad that is doing something to the file then look for resize options - it sounds like you are making the file smaller - you don't want this.

I don't put files on the ipad. I take them from camera to computer then put low resolution copies on the internet where I can browse them from the ipad. I like to see what I was doing this date last year, year before etc. so it is a portable index for me.

While laptops are useful and have the computing power to do image processing the screens are not the best. So if you get serious about editing it is best to have an external monitor and disk drives for keeping photos safe.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

There are two main issues with an ipad or even a laptop to be honest - ability to edit and storage. I would only really recommend a desktop monitor for editing purposes because the nature of all these backlit screens means that a photograph can look completely different depending on the angle you look at it, and the lighting conditions you are looking under. A fixed screen that is always seen in the same lighting conditions (preferably quite dim with no colour cast and no other lights reflecting in it - which is beyond most people!) is the optimum. So a laptop will be better than an ipad or other tablet but still not ideal because you can't be sure you've angled the screen exactly the same from one use to another. And the light obviously changes wherever you happen to be. If you can at the very least resolve to always sit in the same spot, facing the same way, with the same lights off each time, then you'll be helping yourself considerably.

I used to have an adaptor that allowed me to take my files from the camera's memory card and store them directly on the ipad. There was no issue with the ipad resizing the files but the RAW files I use are large and the ipad coudln't cope with storing very many of them. It very rapidly became useless. It's just not the tool for the job! If you get a laptop you will potentially have the ability to store more, but even then I would recommend the use of an external USB 3 hardrive for the actual storage (two - one being a backup of the other) and only what you're currently working on to be kept on the laptop's memory.

As for recommendations - I have been a mac user for so long now that I don't know anything about anything else and they hardly come in 'cheap'. If you are very used to the ipad's interface, a macbook or macbook air will feel very intuitive to use now but if you are happy enough using Windows as well then it won't matter very much!

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've been using an Acer Travelmate N15Q1 for the last year as a backup to my MacBook Pro. The screen's not too bad and mine cost £500 for the i5 4-core with 12GB/1TB. Screen viewing angle is almost as good as the Apple machine. When I've edited stuff in the GIMP and put it back on the MBP the colours seem fine to me. I can't comment on how it works under Windows as I reformated the disk to Linux as soon as I got it. It's very smooth running Ubuntu 16.04.

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

For photo-work I'd recommend a desktop computer with plenty of ram and a large monitor (at least 27") matched to a decent photo printer. I have a laptop and tablet which are good for many things but naff for serious photo-work.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. SimboRS

SimboRS Member

The camera settings are set to
    JPEG-fine
    Image is 6000x4000 large, 24.0.
    I'm not really looking to do serious editing on the photos, I'm not going to sit with photos and change colours and backgrounds and cut stuff out of it etc, I just got the camera for taking photos at car shows, city trips, holidays and the family etc. I'd just like to be able to store more and get prints. Are up a good size for framing etc.
    As I said a desktop isn't an option as I have no space for one.

7. PeteRob

That should easily print beyond A3 so I don't understand the issue with photobox.

8. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

A few years ago I would have said "forget about a laptop for photo-editing" and suggested that a powerful desktop was a "must".

However, I am pretty sure that I am correct is saying that top-end laptops now have all the processing power you will need and, really, the only thing to watch for is that it has the capacity for connecting to a decent size monitor (or, preferably, two).

But, as always with replies to equipment queries, my principal advice is to use what you currently have and only think of upgrading once you discover that your present kit is not up to the job you need it to do.

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Well, it implies the process of Camera -> iPad -> Photobox has changed the image along the way, either cropped, shrunk or resized.

I've printed a fair bit with PhotoBox and they don't process the image, it uploads as-is, which implies there's soemthing between Camera -> iPad which is changing the image.

GlennH likes this.
  10. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

That was my first thought. I don't have an iPad, but if you can pass an image file through it without resizing, there shouldn't be a problem with Photobox. As many will know, compression is another thing, where you basically squash all of the data into a smaller file using a lossy file format.

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

How are you getting your images from camera to ipad? And what if any app are you using to store/organise/file them? I seem to remember that I had issues with the earlier versions of Apple's 'iphoto' but can't remember if compression was one of them because I stopped using it after a while.

12. SimboRS

SimboRS Member

I need to upgrade now as the iPad has no more storage for photos, is there anyway to get them onto a hardrive from an iPad. I'm uploading them via Nikon snapbridge to the iPad. Which in turn saves them to my camera roll when I go to photobox it gives me the option to select from tablet/camera roll so I do that.
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge. I'm not that great with computers/cameras by I am keen to learn.

13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I shoot Canon so I know nothing about snapbridge however a quick google suggests that when you download, there should be an option to select whether you want the app to resize to 2mb or use the original file size. I don't know, you might already have thought of this, but have you checked that you are downloading the original file size?

14. PeteRob

That's all I could find but it took me longer. It doesn't say how it gets to 2MB - must be combination of resize and compression.

15. Andrew Flannigan

16. SimboRS

SimboRS Member

I haven't thought of the 2mb, but I have seen it somewhere, probably on the camera, I'll look at that tonight

17. SimboRS

SimboRS Member

18. Andrew Flannigan

19. PeteRob

I'd find out what apps let you browse the external drive (which will need to be mains powered, the portable hard disks take their power off a USB port so expect whatever device the port belongs to, to be plugged in) from the iPad. An iPad doesn't have a conventional filing system so if you do get 10,000 pics on the drive you have to think about how you will access them. Most people run into the problem that they get so many images some kind of filing system becomes useful. The success of programs such as Lightroom is due as much to their organiser type role as it is their editing capability.

20. Andrew Flannigan

The devices described in that article are self powered and several can act as emergency chargers for phones. They typically have both a a web interface and dedicated apps for manipulating the files.