1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T7i Video Limitation / Magic Lantern

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by JMASTERJ, May 15, 2018 at 6:43 AM.

1. JMASTERJ

JMASTERJ Member

Hi... I have searched and seems like this is not a popular topic anymore, or may I am not using the proper search terms.

I know in the past ML was big in helping the old Rebel cameras get continues video shooting with the hack, but I dont see anything for the T7i...

Are we at the mercy of waiting for ML to release an update, its been a while, or is there another solution?

BTW! I COULD SWEAR a couple of times when I used the T7i video, it automatically continued the video and I thought hey, Canon entered a hack themselves... but now it doesn't work anymore.

I'm not exactly sure what is going on anymore.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven't followed the magic langern project but my memory is that it was a bit of open-source fun. If they have stopped then either it isn't fun any more or the "missing" features are now commercially available. I get the impression that, although Canon were the first with the 5Dii others now lead the domestic "my camera can shoot video" market (? Panasonic maybe?) while Canon have intrduced the cinema range which I believe are are dedicated video cameras. I rather think the limitations on recording time in the early cameras were due to sensor overheating. Whether this is so for later models I don't know.

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Wasn't it to do with video cameras being taxed at a higher rate than stills cameras in some markets?

4. PeteRob

That's a thought. It is a long time since I looked at the UK import duty list, certainly at one time there was no entry for digital cameras but there was import duty on film cameras and on video. I can't remember if this was all video or just broadcast equipment. I don't think the import duties were all that high, not compared to VAT. I looked it up years ago with all the questions on how much of the notional "savings" on grey imports was avoided tax but I can't remember the numbers.

5. JMASTERJ

JMASTERJ Member

Yes all correct... but I was looking for a solution like the old Magic lantern, not sure why they havent updated the T7i yet, its one of the most popular DSLR in the world... maybe its just harder, but bottom line as I said, when I first started using it, it automatically reset and continued recording into separate files, and now it doesnt. I am wondering how that happened and how I can make that happen again. It could not have been some freak accident right? Something weird is going on, it has to be possible I am thinking.

6. PeteRob

So the post was nothing to do with magic lantern for the D800? You are saying that the camera used to record continuously and now it doesn't? That usually means you changed some setting or other. I'd look carefully in the manual.

It took me ages the other day to find a setting for my wife's bridge camera which, it turned out, has a default and unmentioned behaviour that if you take a close focus shot in poor light using focal length above some critical value it will take 4 exposures and blend them in an attempt to improve sharpness. So camera set for single exposure, fires shutter 4 times, locks up while it thinks then produces a single image. We were in a bluebell wood so taking mixture of shots and it was seemingly randomly "behaving" and "misbehaving". Nowt on internet, nowt in user guide, found it in a footnote in the pdf of the full manual which is very helpfully called print_1.pdf

7. JMASTERJ

JMASTERJ Member

Basically I am referring to the feature that only Magic Lantern allowed in the older Rebels...

I was hoping considering this is such a popular camera and also a popular issue in the past that someone would just know what I was talking about... its weird that there's not much on this topic anywhere, almost like scary weird... like someone's wiping all relevant info on the internet LOL....

8. PeteRob

There has never been much discussion about magic lantern or video here. The best bet is to get into the magic lantern development discussions and find out if anyone is tackling it. The parallel video forum (link on main AP page) may be more help but it is partnered by Canon I think. Probably there are better cameras for video these days. I got the impression when this all started with the 5D ii that every finished work was an edit of 10-30s takes