1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching from Nikon to Canon?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by dr_eyehead, Dec 11, 2017.

1. dr_eyehead

dr_eyehead Well-Known Member

Or Sony?

I'm 3 years and 9 months after putting a Nikon D5200 to the test. It's been in my rucksack and I've walked it many a mile taking landscape photography in all seasons and all times of the day, where I could reach by bike and foot anyway.

I've taken some amazing photos with it, and also a load of rubbish but that's part of the journey. I have done a little bit of wildlife photography, got some nice butterfly shots this year using only the 55mm lens that came with it and just trying to get really close.

But most of my work has been landscape, and most of that has been setting the camera on Manual and using the HDR high setting. I have taken many huge panoramic landscapes by turnign the camera on it's side and panning round, or using a tripod.

See more about my recent work here, and my recent photography disaster here http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...r-river-scottish-borders.135293/#post-1469470

The trouble with panoramic HDR photography on this camera though is that you have to go in to the settings to set it to HDR
    after every shot. You can't just set it to HDR and pan round with the camera, and this is especially a problem if you are taking the host handheld. The only way to get round this problem on the Nikon D5200 is to set HDR as a function and use the fn button on the front (trying not to accidentally hit the flash button) and turn the wheel to activate the right HDR setting before continuing.

I have got by well using this method, but it's mnost certainly VERY impractical and if the equivalent Canon camera offers a better way to do this then I'm sold pretty much on that alone.

Difference 24MP sensors?

Or should I go for the more compact Sony A6000? I'm not sure that does HDR though. It's got one advantage of being more compact and portable which I would like, but the model I look at in the store today looked a bit flimsy. The Nikon D5200 has been a sturdy camera that has endured a lot of backpacking. Unfortunately though it's not very waterproof.

I'd really love to get into bracketing, but my current forte is HDR panoramas.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No camera [other than the tough compacts] is waterproof, the main thing is that you survived the immersion!

Did you try to dry it out? Remove battery and lens and store in a dry place with a dessicant for several days.

I'm not sure that I understand what you are doing. Normally with panoramic shots you fix the best overall exposure and then construct the panorama. Are you repeating this process several times at different exposures and then exposure blending the seversl panoramas? That sounds very complicated and prone to issues with movement in the scene as it must take ages.

dr_eyehead likes this.
  3. dr_eyehead

Yes I understand that immersion in water is not good but it couldn't be helped. I had two rings round the either side of my Nikon with slots to slot in the strap that came with it. I bought two referee whistle and cut them down and used them to make a detachable thing that allowed me to easily detach and reattach the neck strap... but I never used the neck strap.

Instead I used to put my middle finger through a small material strap that was part of the design and used my index finger to keep hold of the camera while I was walking. This allowed to me to have the piece of mind that I wouldn't accidentally drop it while walking and carrying it, but unfortunately in this instance it caused me to immerse the camera in the water along with my hand.

This is a good selling point for Nikon for me right now.

As for the panoramics I am taking the whole the panoramic on the same HDR setting, and the same exposure settings and this has worked very well for me over the past few years and has produced lots of very panoramic photos (with the camera turned on it's side also so 6000px is the vertical) that have had good consistency for stitching.

But the problem is every time I want to take a new shot I have to reset the HDR level, and this either requires going into the menu or setting this as a function. Either way it's an unncecessary cumbersome during the panoramic shoots I have taken that also gets in the way of timing and positioning if I am taking the shot handheld.

4. dr_eyehead

Check out some of my recent HDR panos on @scotbeasts and @twagingerdugs

I need to sort out the good ones and revise my website, which was originally a pitch for a calendar and still might be.

5. PeteRob

What do you mean by HDR setting and HDR level?

I'd understand HDR for a scene to involve spot measuring the highlights and the shadows, deciding how many exposures would be needed to cover the range and where to place them, then taking the exposures and combining them in software. How you'd do this consistently across a panorama I don't follow.

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I do not understand your problem..
    You only need to take bracketed shots of the pan and stitch and create the hdr in software.
    It is not something best done hand held, in camera. As there are too many compromises and room for error. And almost no control.

7. dr_eyehead

Pete. The Nikon D5200 has several HDR settings, High+, High, Normal, Low and Auto. I'm simply setting the exposure, aperture and ISO levels and then panning round and taking each shot on the same HDR setting. It works quite well.

8. dr_eyehead

That's maybe a better way to do it. I never really used the bracketing feature, probably should have.

I prefer using a tripod, but I don't always go out with it as it's quite bulky. I've achieved some quite good results hand held using the HDR feature though. Also wasted a few good panos by being unable to hold the camera steady enough, however if the lighting is good then it can be done if the exposure is kept quite low (usually aim for 1/100 at most). I also use the viewfinder markings to help me to pan round in the right position by following features in the landscape. Keeping the camera at the right angle can be tricky, but I developed a trick for that when taking river panoramics by using the reflections in the water to guide me.

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

If you aren't taking an HDR picture why use the HDR setting? It was clearly a pain in the bum to do and from your description all you are doing is exactly what manuma mode does and that - once set - stays the same from shot to shot...

10. dr_eyehead

Because I AM taking an HDR picture?

It wasn't that much of a pain because I used the function button. But it would be better if it stayed on the HDR setting...

..or bracketing might be a better way to do it, however since my camera is now bust I can't look in to that.

11. PeteRob

Then to answer the earlier question, Canon probably don't have this - I've never heard of it and I still don't understand. If you fix exposure, aperture and iso then there is nothing to change. There has to be some kind of exposure bracketing as step 1 in an HDR process.

12. dr_eyehead

I'm pretty sure Canon have an HDR feature on some of their cameras, the question is whether I have to set this every time I snap.

I don't understand what you are not getting. You just set the camera to whatever settings you need and then turn on the HDR setting and the camera automatically brackets two exposures together, one being the expsoure you have set it to and the other is automatically set by the camera depending on light levels detected probably...

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

HDR by it's nature uses multiple shots at different exposures to build a single image which shows detail in both the shadows and highlights which would be lost with a single exposure. It only makes sense if the total dynamic range in the scene is greater than the camera can successful capture (i.e. the 'distance' between the darkest bit you want detail in and the brightest bit you want detail in).

The Nikon D5200 only takes HDR images in JPG mode, and takes 2 exposures. From the manual,

High Dynamic Range (HDR) combines two exposures to form a single image that captures a wide range of tones from shadows to highlights, even with high-contrast subjects.
    It cannot be used to record NEF (RAW) images.​

Many cameras support exposure bracketing and hence achieving the same effect, although you'll need to post process the images and create the HDR image yourself. You do of course, get more control that way.

The point is though, that not every image requires it, even landscapes.

Many newer Canon cameras include an HDR function, which takes 3 frames. The 70D allows the images to be RAW but the resulting HDR image is JPG.

It'd be much cheaper to switch to bracketing and post-process your HDR's yourself, changing a camera to achieve it seems a bit wasteful.

Craig20264 likes this.
  14. dr_eyehead

I don't really have a choice but to get a new camera so it makes little difference if I decide to switch to Canon as there is nothing holding me to Nikon.

From what you just said though the Canon sounds like it might be better for HDR, but the question again is do I need to set the camera before every shot?

15. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Tony explains it well above. HDR is still a very much misused and misunderstood technique. It's just another tool to get the shot.

16. EightBitTony

Yes, I only just read your other post, you didn't really make it clear in this one that you had to buy a new camera anyway.

I've just checked on my 7D2, and it allows you to set HDR as one-shot, or continuous. I can't comment on other Canon's, but maybe checking the manuals of cameras you can afford would help (Nikon or Canon).

17. EightBitTony

(On a related note, and I appreciate you're not here asking for photography feedback, if you did your own bracketing and subsequent HDR where necessary you could avoid the haloing your images suffer from in the high contrast areas).

18. PeteRob

"
    It seems my manual (5Ds) devotes 5 pages to it. You learn something new every day.

EightBitTony likes this.
  19. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Most of my pans are also done hand held with the help of my walking pole. As I always shoot raw I can extend the brightness range by fusing two raw conversions. I avoid parallax by taking extra shots of close objects.

dr_eyehead likes this.
  20. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My 6D also offers HDR but I only rarely use it so am not an expert, however why not download manuals for the cameras you are considering? - As Tony suggests

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017