1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching camera brands - would you??

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

You are of course correct Geoff, in the same way that 'absolutely brilliant' or indeed 'absolutely anything else' is also a tortorism, or perhaps even a split infinitive. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But let’s not get too hung up on the intricacies of the English language. This is a photography forum after all……
    :)

2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

A manual camera has no shutter and involves removing the lens cap to expose the film....next step is semi-mechanised!

Graeme

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Quite right, what the original post was talking about was a Mechanical Camera using Manual exposure control. You can of course have an Electronic Camera with manual exposure control.

What we refer to as "Semi-automatic" exposure control, by which I mean Shutter Priority and Aperture Priority modes, was originally sold as "Shutter Priority Auto Exposure" and/or "Aperture Priority Auto Exposure". It could be argued that in either case exposure is fully automatic because the Shutter speed or Aperture is chosen for artistic, not exposure control, reasons.

Hence, having been in this game for over 35 years, I see the choice as Manual or Auto with no distinction between Programmed Auto and Shutter/Aperture Priority Auto. Simply, if they aren't manual they must be auto.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That can't be right, though. If it requires manual input, as shutter priority or aperture priority do*, it's not fully automatic, is it? "Semi-automatic" or perhaps "guided automatic" actually makes a lot more sense.

* Except in those cameras that will override the, er, manually chosen setting if the exposure would be wrong.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is quite possible to set an aperture and then forget about it. Setting f5.6 will give acceptable images most of the time so do that in Aperture priority and you are just using auto exposure. When you make a creative decision to change the aperture exposure remains automatic because the aperture is being used for creative purposes not to control exposure. If you were in manual and chose to open up the aperture to increase the exposure that would be different.

I draw a distinction between Auto Exposure; where the camera matches one parameter to a second, creatively selected, parameter and Manual Exposure where the photographer selects one parameter for creative effect and matches the other, based upon experience and the meter, to achieve the required effect.

Cameras don't, to my mind, offer semi-automatic modes. A semi auto gear box allows you to decide to change gear and even which gear to change to but the box performs the actual gear change.

6. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Well there are some intermediates:

manual diaphragm / pre-set diaphragm / automatic diaphragm

no metering / stop-down metering / full-aperture metering

manual film advance & rewind / motor drive with manual rewind / motor drive with automatic rewind

manual spot metering / multi-point spot averaging with manual selection of metering points / evaluative metering

I'm sure others can add to this list.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Most of the time; but it's possible to fall outside the exposure range that the camera can set based on that setting if there's too much or too little light, whereas in a fully automatic mode (i.e. programmed exposure) it could achieve an acceptable setting; in this case, manual intervention is required, ergo it is not a completely automatic setting.

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I think that the meaning of the term automatic has changed over time. The manual that came with my AE1 (which is of course a shutter priority camera) describes it as "Automatic Exposure" and indeed states that is what the AE stands for. I suspect that at that time semi-automatic was the same as match needle

Roger

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Getting back on topic...

I recently 'switched' from Nikon to Pentax, but I'm keeping my Nikon stuff - it's worthless to anyone else anyway ;) - so is it really a switch? I've owned Canon, Olympus, Nikon and Pentax cameras (plus Halina!), and whilst I liked Nikon's general handling and performance, for me Pentax works better - more intuitive, does what I want it to better than Nikon most of the time.

I'm open to any brand, but as long as Pentax neets my needs, I'll not go elswhere. I'd like to get hold of a few 'Limited' lenses (no, no Canon kit lenses) and the 14mm ultra-wide. That'd be me sorted for 35mm based stuff for ever. Wouldn't stop me playing around with MF/LF though. :D

10. Benchmark

Whilst not wishing to defend my original grammatical blunder: surely, if we are to be pedantic, exposure control must either be manual, semi-automatic, or automatic.

Just as 'fully manual' is a tortorism, so is 'fully automatic'!

As you yourself correctly pointed out, manual is manual. Therefore by definition, automatic must mean automatic. However, the term semi-automatic may be used to describe an exposure control system where some manual input is required.

Yours with tongue firmly in cheek! :D :D

11. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Nigel, don't know if this helps but there is a crowbar lying around in the lounge that can be borrowed to extract tongues from cheeks.
    We have all used it at times and it is kept in a bucket of dettol to keep it clean :D

12. Benchmark

Thank you but no. I don't like the taste of Dettol; it reminds me of having my mouth washed out with carbolic soap at school for uttering words that should not have been uttered within earshot of a shoolmaster! :D :D

13. Captainpenguin

Captainpenguin Active Member

Life was so much easier in the dim and distant past,i had Chinon,Pentax,and Olympus before I discovered the joys of Nikon.However I had Tamron lenses so it was just a case of getting a new adaptall mount.

Once I discovered Nikon I thought that love would last forever especially as the FA is my favourite ever camera,however when the time came to switch to autofocus the Nikon in my price range was that appalling F70 and so reluctantly I moved to Canon where I have been ever since with my 350D in the dgital age.
    Would I change again well if the lottery comes up tonight I might have a mosey around at the opposition otherwise no.

14. Cyberdux

Cyberdux Well-Known Member

I used to own a pratica MTL5 when i was younger and wanted to take up photography a bit more seriously, even had a few lenses for it aswell.. But times changed, had a nervous breakdown and went into myself and didn't have much contact with the real world. Finally got out my pit of dispare and brought a Fuji A202 to record some family memories.. then found my old camera, sold it and brought a Fuji A340 then a Fuji S7000 and finally took the step up to A nikon D50.. Been hooked ever since, and i've still got the S7000 sat in a box!!

Dux

15. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

Forgive me Damien, for I have sinned.

It's been two weeks since I last read a photographic magazine.

I've been harbouring lustful thoughts about the new Nikon D300 even though I do deeply love my Samsung GX-10 and always will.

It's been a struggle because my mind has been fixated on all the new buttons, displays and shiny, twiddly things that could be all mine. But now I realise that the GX-10 is my true love. She gives me all that I want and more. And I now understand that promises of flashy new gizmos are as nothing compared to the true, faithful, generous love my Samsung and I share.