1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching camera brands - would you??

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

No, but I love the sound of a mechanical shutter at 1 sec............

...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz chh :D

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Go for it Huw..........................we'd all love to see your Nikkors! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D ;)

BigWill

NOT the FM3A again though! Probably seen more photos of that than the Buachaille Etive Mor:eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

3. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Yes please, the ultimate eye candy. Love the leatherette on the Nikon prism housing, so strange (unless it's to cut reflection) but so uhh......... cool, nice?

They don't do that kind of thing anymore :(

4. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Simply not possible :D

5. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Probably not, but Will has seen the same FM3A pic more times - I make sure of that. :)

6. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Okay, ladies and gentlemen (and BigWill), I propose that we reconvene in the Lounge for a thread of pictures of our cameras - should be just right with the weekend coming. :)

7. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

..... But judging by its pristine condition, and the lack of brass showing through the black paintwork, it doesn't get used often enough! :)

8. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Oh it gets used all right! :) But it also gets looked after, and it was fairly new in the picture. [You see, I've been goading Will with that pic for a long, long time! ;-)]

But maybe that's the problem with owning too many cameras - most things don't get used often enough to acquire a respectable level of brassing. :-(

9. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Probably explains why there are so few around. Though I see one of the regular AP advertisers has a couple in stock, at £1995 (unused?) and £1275 (good user). Silly prices but maybe if a rich uncle dies....

Depends on whether you consider a mechanical shutter to be an asset or not. I can live without a self-timer, I think maybe I've used one once in the last 25 years.

I could be wrong on this but my recollection is that most of the camera mags were rubbishing OMs for not being autofocus. My feeling is that not having autofocus can be an asset for certain types of photography, but then I tend to find electric windows in a car something I'd rather not be forced to have as well - I'd actually pay extra for a hand-wound driver's window, as I find the switches for electric windows irritating - they single-shot when you don't want them to and vice versa, and are very hard to get to stay put open just the right amount. Anyway, times move on, and sometimes progress marches backwards. I don't want to ban autofocus, just to make manual focus a viable consumer option.

Before anyone points out that state-of-the-art DSLRs do have a manual focusing mode, the problem is that AF-enabled lenses tend to have far too short a focusing ring travel to focus accurately when used in MF mode. :mad:

10. Benchmark

But do you find that you go through phases of using one particular camera or system almost exclusively, (and therefore tend to choose photographic subjects best suited to that marque)? I know I do. :)

11. Benchmark

I bought my OM4Ti new in 1997 (IIRC) from Jessies in Oxford Street, in the days when they were still a camera shop, and still sold proper cameras. :(

Even then the assistant assumed that I was a collector, and that I planned to lock it away somewhere safe.

In the event I have used it very extensively, and before I bought the E1, it went all around the world with me in my day job.

I actually like the manual focus on the E1 (with the Pro series lenses), and actually find it easier to operate than many manual focus lenses. However, where auto-focus cameras seem to fall down is that many of the focusing screens are no longer designed to be used for focusing. And as apertures get smaller, the image becomes even darker and more difficult to focus.

The standard screen in the E1 is pretty good, but it is no match for an OM with a fast prime lens and a plain focusing screen.

IIRC, Oly used to sell about twenty different focusing screens for the OM's, designed for everything from microscopy to ultra long telephoto lenses. And then there were Beatie screens. Whatever happened to all of those? :D

12. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Yes - I certainly do. Well, it tends to be different formats and/or media, rather than just different cameras - but I do have definite 'phases'. I've not had a 35mm phase for at least a year, but when I do the FM3A and one of my F2s will probably bear the brunt of it. And then there will be one or two others that will get used for fun, while the phase lasts - like probably my Minolta XE-1.

But for the time being I'm very much in a DSLR phase, so the FM3A gets a well-earned rest - apart from being used to taunt Will, of course! ;-)

13. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

"so the FM3A gets a well-earned rest - apart from being used to taunt Will, of course! ;-)"...............................to great effect I might add! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Big(Taunted! :eek:)Will

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

[Rant mode] Please it is not "Fully Manual" its MANUAL, you can't get more manual than manual so fully manual is tortology! [/Rant mode]

15. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

So the prevailing view is that, whilst we all own modern 'state of the art' (yeuch!) digital cameras, many people *would* actually change brands, to go back to the heady days of clockwork?

I really don't think I would. I still own my Canon T90 and used to get great pleasure from being able to take an imagined picture all the way through to a finished print, but I far prefer to use my computer rather than getting light-headed from too many hours inhaling chemicals in the darkroom. And being able to see an initial image on the camera's LCD is immeasurably useful.

I think I'll stick with my Samsung GX-10 thanks.

16. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I think Nigel was talking about cameras that aren't semi-automatic.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Precisely my point,

Fully AUTOMATIC
    Semi AUTOMATIC
    Manual

The only "Fully" is Automatic. Goes for machine guns, gear boxes or cameras.

18. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

That's not quite what I meant. Does it count as "changing brands" if I buy into a different brand when buying my first DSLR, if I have every intention of retaining and continuing to use my manual focus film system?

19. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

Yeah but... surely something that is semi-automatic is also semi-manual? And if you can have something that's semi-manual, then you need to differentiate this from something that's fully manual? Lol.

20. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I accept that, but many people seem to want to buy into old systems that they don't currently own.