1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suitable lenses for sports photography? A6000

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by studentcb51, Sep 30, 2016.

1. studentcb51

studentcb51 New Member

Hi, I currently own a Sony A6000 with the kit lens (power zoom) a prime lens (50mm) and a 55-200mm lens.

I was wondering if any of these lenses are suitable for sports photography, particularly football (soccer), rugby, even basketball?
    + would they be suitable for use both during the day and night during darker conditions with pitch lighting?

If not, what lenses would you suggest? and for the best price?

also, if you have any example photos of what could be achieved for either the lenses I've stated or any others, I'd really appreciate it! and also any advice for the settings I should use when shooting sports?

Thanks in advance! and I hope you can help!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Duplicate post

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am not a Sony used but I would suspect that either of those senses would do well - it would just depend upon how close to the action you can get. The main limiter is likely to be how good the camera body is at following moving action and you should look into the manual to see if it has a special setting then experiment - you could stand by a road and practise there or if you know a lively child get him / her to run across a lawn whilst while you get to know the camera
    One word of warning - I took my camera to a child's football match last week and took nearly 200 pictures (motor drive) and I got less than 6 good ones in all the other sequences the action just fizzed out with no climax.
    P.S. Some people round here do not like multiple copies of the same question as it splits the responses up

4. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

the wider the max aperture of the lens, the easier it is to get auto focus lock as well as the ability to isolate the subject. I find my 70-200f2.8 responds so much quicker than the 70-300f4.5-5.6. this on a nikon, but sony lens, I would expect, behave the same.
    Sports pros use big lens for a reason, speed=hit rate:rolleyes:

5. BilliardsNut

BilliardsNut New Member

I bought a used a6000 a few weeks ago to replace my nex5n. So far I have been plesed with it's focus speed compared to the 5n.
    A week ago I did my first test of motocross mainly with the sel18200 and sel35f18 as I could get very close to the action. I even used the old Tair 3 at the end of the session. ;)

The day was not very bright so many shots were at high iso.

I forgot the sel50f18 at home but did miss it a lot as I think it would have been almost perfect for the range I shot from. The sel18200 is very versatile but not as sharp as the primes. Also you will get some more noise because of the higher ISO on a not so bright day.

I think the primes are very good if you can get close enough to the action as you won't need to up the iso too much. I used the auto focus settings Gary Fong recommends for action shots with the a6000. Otherwise I was in manual with auto iso.

Here's a link to a video of my shots.

6. studentcb51

studentcb51 New Member

^^These are some great shots; I'll definitely start to play around with the lenses I have and see what results I get!

Thanks for all the responses everyone, really appreciate it!

ps. sorry about the duplicate posts wasn't sure which section my query would apply, won't happen again ;)