1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggested stop off?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Red_Devil, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Red_Devil

Red_Devil Well-Known Member

Hi all.

Visiting relatives in hospital in Stockport. Will be travelling home to Birmingham soon and wondered if there was any stops along the way that would be good as I have the camera in the boot?

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Bit of a detour but how about Ironbridge

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Stoke-on-Trent

If nothing else it will make you appreciate Birmingham..!!
    :D

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

What about around Stockport itself?

Or again a bit out, Saddleworth - Uppermill, Delph, Dobcross [Swan Inn, Jennings and good food].

Or go via Buxton.

Just avoid the M6.

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

To be fair, Stockport isn't a great deal better (well the town centre anyway).

A nice walk can be had at Alderley Edge, on "The Edge" (NT area)... biased because I live there maybe!

On the way to the M6 via the A34 is Little Moreton Hall, a NT house, which is very nice.

Quarry Bank Mill at Styal, another NT premises is quite interesting.

Of course, you may not be interested in those things, or not a member of the NT (although the walk on The Edge is free).

What do you like to visit/photograph?

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

You could head off south-east from Stockport over the Peak District; some amazing views (if it's not misty/raining), then across south of Sheffield and back down the M1

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yes, good call. Castleton is nice. Could visit one of the caves/mines and have lunch in "The castle". Last time I ate there, it was good. Then go via Ladybower reservoir, then down through Ewden Valley. A nice drive and picturesque ( unless it is chucking down ).

8. Red_Devil

Red_Devil Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Didn't get the time or light to stop off but some cracking suggestions. I still have to go up to Stockport a couple of times this week so will make use of those. :D