1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stunning street photography: 'My Wharf'

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by CWyatt, Aug 8, 2010.

1. CWyatt

CWyatt Well-Known Member

You know when you find a link because it was recommended by someone from Magnum, it's probably pretty good.

I have virtually no idea who the photographer is, apart from their 'about' page.

http://www.yanmingphoto.com/

2. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

There are a couple of interesting shots...but I wouldn't call it stunning. Nor would I call it street photography.

Sorry...but it didn't hold my interest for long!

*Waits for debate on what street photography is*

3. dileas

dileas Well-Known Member

I thought there were a few interesting frames there, but the flat lighting is repetitive, and the photographer occasionally has problems with horizontals, rivers and horizons sloping downhill, that sort of thing. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any that would pass the buy-and-hang test.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Sums up my opinion :(

5. loothapub

loothapub Well-Known Member

Sums up my opinion also.

as for the definition of street photography ?

Without going into all of the detail my interpretation is the same as following

Click Here ;)

6. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I don't know about stunning, although more than a few are superb. A very, interesting gallery from someone who really is exploring photography beyond the level most of us can ever hope to attain.

Overall I would say it's one of the best series of meaningful images I have seen for a long,long time.

Re technical things...........Has anyone noticed that every painting by Monet is out of focus?

But what do I know.

7. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

I would think that some pictures could be 'improved' by Roving Mike and co. if they were to appear in the appraisals gallery.
    Worth a look if only to see one man's (?) view of a changing country.
    As for street, well yes IMO, is street not a term ones applied to reportage.

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Agreed with Brian, many shots are very well thought through and convey a lot of meaning. My personal favourite is the hot air balloon one. What more can convey privilege and poverty?

9. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

By the time I got to it:

Service Temporarily Unavailable

10. CWyatt

CWyatt Well-Known Member

Try here if it's down or too slow: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yanming/

'Hardening of the categories causes art disease' - W. Eugene Smith.
    It's unplanned moments of life in public areas, that should be enough.

Fair enough if the lighting doesn't suit you after a while, this is very much a series. However the rest is missing the point entirely.

One reason I found this series stunning is the huge range of subjects, and the very 'down to earth' way they're shot. I think it gives a really intense feeling of what life is like here, at least for the photographer. Horizon shmizon.

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I assure you I did not miss any point. I can see what the guy was trying to do and the thought and meaning he was hoping to convey. Just IMHO he didn't pull it off technically or artistically. We're all different and all like different stuff. This didn't appeal to me - but obviously it did to you :)

12. CWyatt

CWyatt Well-Known Member

What's this 'buy and hang' test?

13. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

A very silly way of judging a picture, from my experience it merely reflects the owners " taste". All too often it's the "hanger" who should be "hanged", for crimes against artistic appreciation. It's the modern equivalent to " Flying Ducks".

I can think of many " Great Photographs" that I would not like to hang on my wall, does that detract from their importance, of course not.

14. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

They are fascinating. And I've seen quite a few exhibitions my chinese artists ( best one was 6 TV's with a loop video playing, of a train travelling from a town to town and the video is of it's journey.) But they always ultimately leave me feeling a little odd.

There is always a certain sadness in Chinese stuff, and they tend to juxtapose the devestation of the countryside by urban development, industrial gloom, and the people who inevitably suffer this loss of the real china, under the weight of plastic and metal.

It's obviously a big thing in China the environmental impact of communism & development, and the feeling that the people are lost in the midst of it all. Struggling on.

It's a strong heroic but ultimately sad ending type of thread, that is a common Chinese motif.

Just my opinion! :D

15. CWyatt

CWyatt Well-Known Member

BrianT, that was about what I was thinking as well.

geoid, that really added something to it for me, thanks for posting.

16. sitest

sitest New Member

Most of the photos are better than my own. Well done. The website however could be improved... but that goes for many photographers.

<font color="#cfcfcf">Please read the forum guidelines regarding links before adding URLs in signatures. Thank you.

17. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Thanks C_W and, like most photogs site, some really neat/great pics and some .. not so much:rolleyes:

I particularily liked the shot of "the person on the big rock", "the big pig" and "the person laying on
    the thing spitting out something :D"

Cheers,

Jack

18. cyb

cyb Well-Known Member

I’m a little lost with some the images portrayed on these photos, some appear to be showing poverty and ‘life’ in another country, others such as the cut-out amongst the crops and the well dressed women on the ladder I don’t understand. Perhaps it’s me and if you’ll excuse the pun maybe I looking for some thing that’s too black and white, an interesting collection but I’m not sure I would view them more than once?

19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Nice of you to say so, but the quality of the photographer is too evident and the many great images suggest we should sit and ponder why we feel the others are less so, in case it is us that is wrong. We might like or dislike, but if they are a particular way it is because he wanted it that way and wouldn't feel in need of that kind of appraisal.

I used to feel for judges when I saw club pics like some of them go up, that for all he knew might be a horror story from a total beginner, or a highly sophisticated effort by an expert, but nothing in between. Usually it was from old Joan who was half blind, but you could see the sweat breaking out! They'd try to feel the back to see if they were covered in award stickers. :eek:

20. BrooklyNYC

BrooklyNYC Member

Thank You Loothapub for referring to my NYC Street Photography blog as a reference to what defines street photography. The blog actually moved to http://nycstreetphoto.com . I have been actively working on a street photography project in NYC for the past 5 or 6 years. I also started Raw Street Photography on Flickr and there are many discussions on what defines street photography.

As for the link, there are no images there and it isn't in english.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012