1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

studio lighting

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by point n click steve, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Hi there!
    I'm new to this site and studio work and am looking for some tips on studio lighting.
    I am looking to convert one of our spare rooms into a photography studio, which is 9' 8" wide x 14' long.
    The kind of work I would like to do in this room would be pet photography, portrait work and some abstract style photography such as smoke photography and water drop work etc.
    I don't have a great deal of money to play with ie around £200-£300, but at the same time don't want cheap Chinese products that can't provide spare parts or accessories etc.
    Could someone tell me what equipement I would need for the above photography ie lighting type, snoots, coloured gels and honeycomb grills, stands etc.
    I wouldn't mind good second hand items as long as it is in very good condition, as I would rather go for good quality second hand equipement rather than cheap new equipement.
    I own a Canon eos 1100d with standard a kit lens, 75-300mm lens, wired remote shutter release and a Giottos MTL 9361B tripod at the momment, but hoping Santas got me another portrait lens for Christmas
    Any help and info would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

2. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,

If your on a budget, it's probably a good idea to get a studio lighting kit such as the
    Interfit EZ-Flo Portable Lighting Kit. I own one of these kits and I find it great as its easy to set-up, move around and the DVD has some great tips on getting the best out of it, all for around £150.
    "Ideal for either the keen amateur or the professional on the move this near-daylight lighting kit is easy to set up and comes with an instructional DVD to help get you started.

To set the kit up all you need to do is push up the softbox, attach the lighting units and place the heads on the stands. All that's required on-camera is to set White Balance to Daylight and set the ISO to 400 or above.

• 2 Head Kit with 8x 28W bulbs
    • 2x Ez fit Softboxes
    • 2x Lighting Stands
    • 2x Four Way Adapters
    • 1x DVD"

(text in speech marks copied from manufacturers web page)

You would ideally need silver and white reflectors, possibly a light tent for some work, These from interFit would probably set you back another £100 at the most. Then finally some sort of background support system, this could be as simple as a curtain pole attached to the wall or there are commercially available systems from around £100. Backgrounds are commercially available (can be quite expensive), I quite often use a bed sheet or other cloth as backgrounds and other household items as props for my shots. A cheap but strong table is an essential.

Hope this helps

Ian

(By the way I have nothing to do with interFit, just a satisfied user)

3. Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info and I'll look into this product.

Regards,

Steve

4. cockneygreg

cockneygreg Active Member

Google best 8 budget home studio kits. I found an Interfit EXD 200 kit and it;s quite a big bang for the bucks, don't go for the cheaper 150 watt deal though. Then look for the best price. One company who I don't think I can advertise have the best price, with a wireless flash trigger thrown in.

5. Cheers cockneygreg I will look into it!

6. Can you add gels, honeycombs and snoots to this kit ie Interfit EXD 200?

7. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

Hi Steve, yes I believe you can use gels on that system.

Ian

8. cockneygreg

Yes, snoods, barndoors, beautylamp. various size softboxes gels for snood and barndoors along with honeycombs. Got mine at Wexphotographic this week and as I said they threw in an Interfit wireless trigger and a reflector for free.

9. cockneygreg

P.S. Might be worth looking for a flash meter like the sekonic L-308 or a second hand minolta Mk. IV as it will save you time working out the correct exposure, as cameras have a problem with this kind of metering.

10. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

11. Thanks Ian!

12. Thanks for all your advice Cockneygreg. I saw the Wex deal yesterday and was impressed by it. I had my Giottos tripod from them.
    I will check out the flash meter thingy, as I have no idea what it is lol! I'm still learning about lighting etc. I'll check Youtube for that info.

13. Thanks Kenny!