1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuart Heydinger

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I am pleased that you understand the use of 'I' rather than 'we' or 'everybody': unfortunately this use must be too subtle for some people. Perhaps my use of English is too complex, or is the problem that an entire sentence is too difficult?

The loss of another skilled photographer from Fleet Street's 'golden age' is sad: the best of the quality press photography has virtually been destroyed in the search for reduced costs. My local paper appears to use as many poor quality (and presumably free) images as possible.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

If you want to insult me, feel free, no need to couch it in such patronising language.

3. EightBitTony

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Honestly, this is becoming outrageous. What you have written is insulting, patronising and in many instances wrong and the product of inability to read what people say without injecting your own desired meaning into it. I thought we had moved out of that era earlier in the year.

I said at the start I don't know, but I am inclined to agree. How it that projecting a world view on what I said?

If I analyse every statement, I find it is only you have made absolute statements that can only reflect a world view. And now you have tried to support it with ridiculous selective and highly subjective "evidence". I could counter that with evidence from the whole of the advertising business where strategies moved on long ago from creating visual brand properties like Esso Tiger, Lloyds Black Horse, Marlboro Cowboy, etc, to creating concepts that can be delivered across today's fragmented and diverse media without relying on a memorable key visual or mnemonic.

Now if you think that me saying I don't know but "am inclined" is False Consensus Effect, I suggest you examine what you wrote and see if you aren't claiming your view as a far greater consensus than we are. Examine your use of small-scale qualitiative "evidence" and see if you are not projecting that to a world scale. It sounds like you are.

I think you have really defined your own problem here, I'm afraid. Sad that people want to contort these discussions into something that can only be for their own ends.

5. EightBitTony

Yup.

6. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Come on everyone, I was simply voicing an opinion and had no intention of starting a war and my mind was working on the basis that most people have a smartphone with a camera, take endless photos, most of which are forgotten or deleted and believe somehow they are a photographer. This has flooded the photographic world which, making images available to all and, in my opinion, has devalued the work of dedicated amateurs and professionals in the current age, both as a art form and from a financial perspective, as many pros will relate. It just amazes me just how many pro photographers these days have to turn to workshops, experience holidays, you tube to earn a crust. But it's just an opinion of mine.... Oh well, back to caring for the 210 g Hedgehog I found wandering yesterday.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Don't worry about it. You said nothing that could be remotely construed as implying you thought that was the way everyone else thought. That was a pure invention.

You voiced a personal opinion and not a particularly contentious one, that could be argued both ways.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I worked on various local newspapers from 1969 to roughly 1981 and I assure you that image quality was seldom a deciding factor.

Group pictures with lots of faces always got priority, especially if all the names were supplied for the captions. Pictures of shop openings and suchlike were next on the totem pole. It helped if there was a celebrity in the shot but the value of the associated advertising dictated the size of the picture. The sports mob did their own thing but line ups of the local teams always trumped spectacular shots of goalies in action. Bottom line: faces sold papers.

The one difference was that pictures were always paid for because otherwise the sources dried up.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

A really good photojournalist/photographer died and, IMHO, it should left at that.

Regards,

Jack