1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strippers (entirely suitable for work)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

An excellent piece, Roger - thanks for the link. (re: the asset strippers article)

I wish that - if only for the sake of some 'sporting' forum discussion - I could dispute some of your points. However, I can't, since I could find nothing in the piece with which to disagree.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Oh come on you can do better than that! I thought winding the old chap up was a major sport of this forum :)

peterba likes this.
  4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I don't have the energy for the asset stripping debate, but I am secretly yearning to give film another go at some point in the future. I love the thought of shooting Large Format landscapes. It's something I've never tried. I think it's the process, rather than the actual image. I like the thought of the setting up, light calculations, composing the shot etc. I have no idea what I'm doing but would love the learning process.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Good point - but since I agree with the article, I'd be arguing against myself. Hmmm,... truth be known, I've probably already managed to do that at some point on this site, too... :confused::)

6. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I very much doubt that my 'arty' snaps could be acheived so easily using digital. They're all produced on film in the camera, whereas any digital camera, even the most expensive DSLR would go on strike because, with all the software etc., they are not equiped to handle the technique I use.! I don't have to spend hours faffing about on the PC afterwards either.

Lynn

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Roger, you forgot stripping the company pension scheme. Doing that not only undermines the scheme but the schemes of all private sector workers who bankroll the backup.

8. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Just reminded me of the old chestnut: Only two people ever got to mount Olive: the first was Popeye, the second was Robert Maxwell.

9. Roger Hicks

How does it differ from any other asset, to the asset stripper?

Cheers,

R.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

And a third is still allive so best not refered to by name.
    Roger, you are our legal expert so I ask you, am I correct to state that the company pension scheme should be under control of the scheme trustees not the dominant shareholder of the company?

11. Roger Hicks

Well, I've never practised, and even when I was studying the subject, I never studied company law -- couldn't stand the excitement -- so the short answer is dunno. The longer answer is "I'd have thought so, but it looks very much as if pension funds have been treated as an asset and looted, so it probably depends on the exact structure." Remember Robert Maxwell, the Bouncing Czech.

Cheers,

R.

12. Roger Hicks

That is one of the nastiest posts I have ever read. Do you really think it amusing deliberately to annoy one specific person and waste their time? Because if you do, you've just joined another bunch of strippers: those who assiduously try to strip away any faith one might have that human beings are fundamentally decent. By all means disagree with me, or attack what I say, but what you said is simply disgusting.

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Come on Roger that was just a joke! So sorry if that annoyed you.

14. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I think that his tongue was firmly in his cheek. If he was not a willing participant in your sport, he would not post half of the provocative stuff he sticks on the forum. And he certainly would not have stuck around to read the replies he provokes.

Vive la chasse.

15. Roger Hicks

Dear Roger,

Sorry. Life's been difficult lately. More doctor's appointments (for Frances this time) on Thursday: one in Tours, one in Chinon. I've not been getting enough sleep and it's getting through. Apology gladly accepted, and my apologies in return for taking it amiss. Then again, you should (or maybe you shouldn't) see some of the nasty stuff I receive, with no jokes involved.

Cheers,

R.