1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Street Photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Nikonchris, Jan 6, 2017.

1. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Tried and failed, sadly. I can't be held responsible for your comedic skills or lack thereof. Just where have I said my way is the only way? Read the original post that lead to your sarcasm and explain to me please.

2. lfc1892

Oh I agree entirely that street doesn't have to be on a 20mm prime in people's faces, just that it's easier to get satisfying results in what most people perceive to be street photography with a wide lens. I'm pretty sure some of Arbus' work wasn't on a short lens and she did pretty well. I'm just saying that if you choose a wider lens, you're more likely to get good results if street, or what Magnum etc would consider as street, is what you're after. I've taken street shots on long lenses myself and they've come out really well.

3. lfc1892

But my point is that it's very difficult to get close up street shots with plenty of action and context going on with a long lens. Just as its hard to get a great landscape with a long lens.
    but again, your point about definitions applies here. If a street portrait is what you're after then the lens is less relevant. Gilden simply can't do what he does with a portrait lens. Any more than a great landscape tog could do with one either in most cases.

Interesting debate.

4. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

Some great discussion here Gentlemen....has really stimulated my thought processes!

Anyway I tried some street work over the weekend but to me they didn't really work as street photography but I'm not sure why. Anyway, views and opinions welcome. (I did think of putting these in the appraisal section but as this thread was up and running here thought I would post it here....)

[​IMG]00004gold souq by Chris Connorton, on Flickr

[​IMG]00003steps by Chris Connorton, on Flickr

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

The first one isn't very interesting - it might be an interesting guy, but the composition is just 'snapshot'. The second is much closer to what many would describe as street photography. A single bold colour, with a second accent and a human element. It's just a little messy - the left hand side cropped too early, the stairs not directly straight on, but not at an interesting enough angle either, etc.

6. Nikonchris

Yes you're right...I thought taking the steps full on square would flatten the image a bit so I need to learn to take from a few different views and see which comes out better.

Not sure what you mean about the crop.

Thanks for the feedback.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

For me, the left-hand-side looks like the railing has been chopped off, rather than looking intentional it looks haphazard.

8. Nikonchris

Yes it was...as i was trying to crop out the bit of blue sky at the edge of the picture...

[​IMG]00003steps by Chris Connorton, on Flickr

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  9. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

I suppose it all depends on your view of street photography which is probably what I do most of but my version. I seldom have people in the frame being mainly interested in buildings, doors, windows, graffiti etc. I do obviously at time capture the odd living body either human or animal but in general find a large sensor compact my weapon of choice. I you're interested in people large cities always have focus centres where masses gather where you'll never stand out using a camera. Spitalfields & Brick Lane stand out for me in London as fertile areas for a camera. Again in the same area The Nomadic Gardens https://www.facebook.com/nomadiccommunitygardens/ just off Brick Lane are a must for any budding 'street' photographer. But the main thing is blend in and just have fun,

Andrew Flannigan and PhotoEcosse like this.
  10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Cheers,

Jack Simpson …. and as for the perfect/best/most used focal length for street photography …. here
    are two shots of the same subject, one taken at 24mm and the other at 2000mm

June22-15-AP-DSCN1339 copy 3.jpg June22-15-AP-2000mm-DSCN1361 copy.jpg

Andrew Flannigan and AlanW like this.
  11. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

If you are not within talking distance with what you are trying to capture you have lost the picture....and yes at times you have to be thick skinned as to speak...

Done_rundleCams and lfc1892 like this.
  12. lfc1892

And the first is a million miles the better shot. Just look at the story it tells. It's by no means perfect, but it blows the second one away. The second does also let the viewer imagine a story, but the first tells it and doesn't pull any punches. That's definitely street.

Done_rundleCams and Nikonchris like this.
  13. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

...and the first one better fulfils that essential requirement of viewing any photo - that the viewing experience must involve input from both the photographer and the viewer. The first photo allows a wide range of viewer responses from "get stuck in; kick the shit out of the waster" through to "fascist pigs". The second one doesn't do that.

14. Jimbo57

Jimbo57 Well-Known Member

Probably the most profound statement that I have ever read in this Forum,

So many people seem to delude themselves into thinking tht any photograph (or artwork of any genre) can stand on its own, rather than being merely the stimulus for interaction between the originator and consumer. I think Roger Hicks will know what I mean.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't get that at all. For almost all the uses I can think of for photography, the image is the message. Unless you mean that the photograph has to be understood by the viewer?

16. Done_rundleCams

HI ifc1892,

I and the photographers from the Detroit Free Press agree with you --- you'll have to scroll down to the "spot news" section:
    http://npac.ca/forums/index.php?topic=5887.0 ;)

and, you're 100% correct, not perfect, by any means, but, then, I've, yet, to see the perfect photo and, undoubtedly, won't :)
    I put the second (tight) photo in just to show the dichotomy of lens ranges that can be used, IMO, for shooting street/any
    photography :)

Cheers and thanks :)

Jack

17. Done_rundleCams

IMVHO, I_C, if something is visible, I'll (try) take a photo of it :) As for the speaking with/to the people,
    sometimes, I do and, sometimes, I don't.

Cheers,

Jack

18. Done_rundleCams

Thanks P_E, and I was walking up to the second level of a shoe shop to get a different perspective, when I spotted
    the wee lad having a munch and watching the goings on and, couldn't not take a pic ;). The second shot was just
    for longer focal length, although, granted, doesn't tell much of a story.

Cheers,

Jack

19. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I have also wondered that but am not sure! I miss the Senator. Oops! Wrong Thread. Should post in 'Who do you miss?' :)

20. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Problems with using a tele for 'Street Photography' for me are:
    You stand out more, are more obvious,
    The photographer appears to be snooping, whether 'officially' (Police/Security) or not,
    You are more likely to elicit objections to photography in a public place which is entirely legal but some would like to make illegal,
    A large movement of feet (for horizontal) and body (in vertical dimension) is necessary for small change in viewpoint, thus making photographer even more obvious, and
    On a crowded street, you can inadvertently wack someone on the ear with a long lens if you swing around quickly to move away.