1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Street Photography again

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Jan 26, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I watched this series of Eric Kim videos a while back, and found them extremely interesting.

Here's a link to the full playlist,

It's 6 videos, nominally part of a Street Photography 'course'. The videos start at lesson 3 (1 and 2 are just slide decks). For me, week 3 (i.e. the first one) was exceptionally useful - Street Photography Styles.

Whatever you think of Kim's photography, I think the videos are worth a look, especially if you're starting out in street photography (Week 5, video 3, introduces some classic street photography work).

2. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Many people take the mick out of his work, but whatever people say about him, he's done a lot for increasing the popularity of Street work.

3. EightBitTony

Yes, and if you separate his actual work from his presentation of the method, then there's a lot to gain. He's clearly knowledgeable about the forms of street photography, even if you don't like his approach and output.

Also, the video (not in the above set) where he talks about photographing his own father's funeral is fascinating (it's part of a video on projects, which I think is also a valuable lesson).

4. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Agree, I particularly like his

10 things [insert name of photographer] can teach you about street photography posts,

as in :
    Alex Webb
    William Eggleston
    Harry Callahan [the photographer, not the Clint Eastwood character :)]
    William Klein

or
    Alec Soth

There are many others in his blog, these are merely the ones closest to hand at the minute.

EightBitTony and SXH like this.
  5. EightBitTony

Yep, and the one biggest takeaway from his stuff - contact sheets from street photographers showing that one famous photograph you saw was 1 of 30 attempts (i.e. a full roll), by working the scene.

6. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Of course. I'm sure there's a romantic belief out there somewhere that some of the street gods are so talented that they see a scene, visualise it as it develops and then snap one frame to perfection.
    No cropping or pp needed or carried out.

Geren likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes I went to an exhibition at the RA once which showed the whole row of contacts from famous shots. Was amazed how turgid all the snaps either side of Diane Arbus' Boy with grenade in Central Park were. In fact the meaning people have attributed to it is entirely false, she just irritated the life out of him.

8. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Yes, she moved around him trying to find the best angle, he was smiling and playing along but eventually he got impatient and told her to “Take the picture already!” and that's when she got her photo! I believe Germaine Greer has a similar story when being photographed by Arbus, it was simply her working method. As Norman Mailer remarked (after being photographed by Arbus and possibly thinking of the photo of the boy), " Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child." :)

RovingMike likes this.