1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Street Photographer at work . . . .

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by AlanW, Feb 10, 2017.

1. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I've seen this photographer a few times on Princes Street (and come across some of his photos in local exhibitions),
    he works very much in Bruce Gilden mode with camera in one hand and flashgun in the other, although today he had
    bright winter sunshine coming in from behind so not sure if he used the flash, I was too busy taking the photo to notice!
    It also demonstrates how close you can get to your subject without them being aware (and I suppose the same applied to me).
    I find it fascinating to watch other photographers at work and often try to grab a shot of them working. . . . . anyone else do this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

daft_biker likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That the first girl is oblivious is quite amazing. I hope she doesn't cross roads like she walks down the high street.

3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

To be honest you can't see much when you're walking into low winter sunshine, especially after rain, just surprised she could see her phone screen!

4. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Pretty much how Dougie Wallace does it (Glasweegee)

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm always at it.

I don't post a lot of those to Flickr (or do much other than tag them) so don't have many to link here, but I probably get 3 or 4 every time I'm out shooting.

[​IMG]Seven Stages of Photography by Tony Evans, on Flickr
    [​IMG]A Filter of Photographers by Tony Evans, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Those heels! by Tony Evans, on Flickr

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I do them but they never see the light of day. Hard to get one that really grabs attention.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

the other day my wife took a shot of a photographer taking a shot of me taking a photograph. No idea if anyone else was in the chain :)

daft_biker likes this.
  8. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Same for about 99.9% of everything I shoot!

Here's a few examples, the only ones I can find at the minute.

The keen amateur . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . . and the unimpressed press photographer,
    [​IMG]
    well she did have a bigger camera than me :(

daft_biker likes this.
  9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Very hard to get something that engages when they are engaged in something else. Would be a rare moment, but just a matter of holding off on the shutter till it happens.

[​IMG]

10. EightBitTony

Yep, I'm quite fond of that shot - photographers in various stages of doing their thing, prepping, chimping, shooting, and falling over ;)

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I recognise that location. I think it's Pelham Street Nottingham, nearly opposite LCE

12. EightBitTony

Yup.

13. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Depends where you are. In a busy city like London, people don't have the time or inclination to stop and ask questions. Try his style in a smaller town and you'll probably get harassed.
    Do you know the name of the tog in question Alan?
    I'd like to see how well he pulls the technique off, as I think, although his methods are ethically questionable, Gilden is a master at his style.

14. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I believe his name is Gareth Bragdon, an American living in Edinburgh, there's an interview with him here which will give you a bit of an insight.

15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

After the scandal.
    watch the birdie.jpg

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The little devil on my left shoulder is looking forward to the phone video of someone giving him a short sharp lesson in manners. The angel seems to have fallen off my right shoulder for the moment.