1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

street layers

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by lfc1892, Jul 12, 2018.

1. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Welcome back, I thought it had been a while! I can't figure out the top of this at all! Might be too early in the morning for me. The bottom ~third is classic!

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes it is something that looks like it should work, but when you see the result, somehow doesn't. The eye can't resolve the visual conundrum.

And person is far too central for me.

Zou and frank1 like this.
  4. lfc1892

morning guys and thanks for the input and replies. For me, it's a weird scene that felt weird at the time, so keeping him central adds to that strange almost off kilter feel. But, off centre works too, and balances nicely with the road line and paper in the version below. Would be nice to know your thoughts...

[​IMG]street-layers2 by lfc-1892, on Flickr

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I'm less unsure when there's only 3 layers (i.e. some crops without the sky work better for me). The first one, with a crop so the sky is gone also turns the black into a nice triangle pointing out of the scene, which isn't as apparent with the sky still present. You end up with 3 triangles which I find more engaging.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I find the elements working better with sky cropped off. Having him off centre allows the paper to balance. But it is still struggling for me.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I like this crop.

upload_2018-7-13_12-22-24.png

But I think the top is too noisy to make it exceptional.

Zou likes this.
  8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I like it but I reckon I should like it a lot more. Overall it feels far to complex with too many elements and perhaps too many layers... I'm also inclined to feel that the sky distracts rather than adds to the layer effect. I rather like the dead centre figure though.

Inevitably I have had a bit of a play and for me, at least, this feels stronger...

LFC street layers.jpg

As well as a crop I slightly darkened the road surface and lifted the shirt a little.

9. lfc1892

Thanks for the replies guys. Sky cropped is a definite option, but, I wasn’t sure how abstract I wanted it. The thick blue line in the reflection says reflected sky to me, but wasn’t sure if that would work for others.

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I think I like it even better without the bottom half or so (and I like it pretty well as it is).

Cheers,

R.

11. lfc1892

Thanks for the feedback Roger.

I think it’s one of those kinds of shots where the geometry is such that there can be many valid interpretations/crops etc.

Peter Lloyd and Roger Hicks like this.