1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Fault

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Buzzingsound, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Buzzingsound

Buzzingsound New Member

Camera: Olympus D-750

Fault:
    When I turn it on it sometimes flashes a red light, buzzes, zooms in and out, bleeps, then turns itself off.
    Its temperamental in that it will not work when I need it but be fine when I take it Jessops to look at it. Taking the battery in and out used to work, but now it can stop more often and for longer
    What is going on?
    If it needs to go back the fee is more than it's worth and I'd be better off getting a new camera.
    I took it to Jessops(As advised by Olympus' website) and the guy removed the Battery and put it back in and then it worked for a few months. As the Football Season started I put the Camera on charge and low and behold the fault returned. I removed battery put it back in and now after four days its working again.
    It has been dropped once about 1.5 years ago so could it be a fault inside?
    I cannot open it as the screws are smaller than any Screw Driver I have(including Spectacle screws).
    I have tried to see if their are any downloads to fix a fault but cannot find any.
    Thanks for any help.
    PS if you need me to break down the post I will.

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Not familiar with your camera, but electronics in general are not keen on being dropped. Having said that, my D5100 survived a 5 foot fall onto concrete. It is quite feasible that something has gone awry inside due to the drop. Perfect excuse for a new shiny I would say ;)

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I suspect it's new toy time...:(

It's clearly turning on but the fact that it zooms in and out, bleeps then turns of suggests that the camera isn't always able to correctly register/calibrate the movement of the lens for zoom or focus control and so it gives up. With a compact like this I suspect repair isn't an option or is very expensive - because the 'repair' probably means replacing the whole lens mechanism and maybe some of the other bits as well ,assuming they still have spares, and is effectively the same as buying a new camera but with the service cost on top...:rolleyes:

4. Buzzingsound

Buzzingsound New Member

I have kept it away from the charger for a few days, I used to leave it plugged in would this have any effect? My nearest Jessops is now 50 miles away and last time I took it in the man took the Battery in & out and it worked making me feel a fool thinking I'd put the battery in the wrong way. Yet doing this myself has made it work for a while but it is getting worse.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I don't think it's advisable to leave any battery connected to the charger beyond the normal charge time as an overcharged battery is a fire risk (particularly so with the type of Lithium batteries used by many cameras) plus excessive charging can also cause permanent chemical changes in the battery that reduces it's working life and/or overall capacity. Generally it's best to disconnect when the charge light either goes out or shows a steady light - the recommended procedure should be in the manual.

If the battery is damaged it may be the reason that the cameras response is erratic - the electronics expect a minimum current and voltage and if the battery is not able to sustain this properly the camera may well assume the battery is flat and shut down. I suppose you could invest in a new battery, charge it properly in accordance with the camera instructions and try it in the camera. If the camera works and continues to work OK then the problem is solved quite cheaply - the risk is of course that you find the camera still doesn't work in which case it's back to replacement or repair...

6. Buzzingsound

Buzzingsound New Member

Changed battery same fault. Looks like new compact. Any robust ones recommended? Ones that'll spend a long time in pockets and sometimes used by kids.