1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stills from video

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Learning, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Professor Newman's introduction to stills from 4K video is a good first page which refers to the potential resolution of such images. I am not criticising what he has written in a very limited amount of space.
    There is much more material for part two and maybe part three.
    When we view video, our brains seem to create images which combine smudged detail from adjoining frames into a sharper more detailed recreation of the subject.
    One has to consider artefacts of compression in the various available codecs. Choice of compression method would seem to be critical if one is to achieve good stills. Most amateur cameras cannot record at an adequate standard.
    When one makes video it is usual to avoid high shutter speeds. We see smooth video if moving subjects have a small amount of subject blur along the direction of travel. This is undesirable for making stills from the individual frames. Some discussion of the compromises in required shutter speeds for the simultaneous capture of stills and video would be relevant.

I wonder if any other readers would be interested in further articles dealing with the issues that I have raised.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

To be quite honest, no. I have no interest in this whatsoever.