1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still got Soul

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Catriona, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I knew him online many years ago. Loved his work then and I'm so glad he still has 'soul' in his work now, even though he is on Getty's staff.
    Still inspiring Ian!
    http://www.iangavan.com/new_work

Kate

Riaz Ahmed likes this.
  2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

He's a good technician, certainly.

3. Catriona

No, you are a good technician.
    I've known his work so long, I guess I've grown with it. He always inspires me and his low key work is something which never fails to please me.
    There might be 90% Getty there, but the rest is all Ian.

Riaz Ahmed likes this.
  4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I'm happy for you that you like it but, without wanting to start an argument, it looks the same as many theatrical & fashion photographers that I've seen.

Riaz Ahmed likes this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I haven't looked at a great deal of fashion/theatre photographers before now so I can't comment on similarities or otherwise, but I particularly liked the series grouped together under "shards". I have been thinking a lot about shadows lately, however I think Im going to have to manufacture some of my own as I've been cursed with flat, dull, grey light for weeks now!

6. Catriona

Oh! Tell me about it! I feel like a mole.
    Yes, I liked Shards. I know there's a lot of his job photos there, but I can spot when he comes through. Shards makes me fel like I'm catching glimpses out of the corner of my eye of things almost lost to view.
    Hope all's going well for you, by the way.
    Kate

Riaz Ahmed likes this.
  7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes, that 'catching glimpses' thing is what drew me to those shots.

I'm okay. We are still job hunting and still clinging onto our house for the time being. I doubt we'll still be here by end of year though and the uncertainty is horrid to live with. I'm probably not very nice to be around a lot of the time to be honest. School was keeping me sane but of course it's now the summer holiday and I'm feeling stir-crazy already. But life goes on and you get on with it don't you?!

Enough of that. I have several projects lined up with various cameras. Going to get my darkroom back up and running this coming week and have a small supply of 120 film to use in the old folding camera that I bought in Oxfam a while ago. Also, I aim to get a half-decent shot of the swans on the Clyde. Haven't managed it yet in the fifteen years I've lived here - it's my challenge for this 'summer'!

8. Isbella Jones

Isbella Jones In the Stop Bath

His work is proving his experience. I'm really appreciate the work.