1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steepest street in the world...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Jan 9, 2019.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Hasn't it got the greatest altitude gain of any road in the UK? Sea level up to 2054 feet.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Cheeky sod.

Zou likes this.
  3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I believe so. Have done the highest road and the most dangerous road (A82 and A9 iirc) and some of the most fun roads (like the skyfall road).

North of glen affric until you run out of road is pretty good too. :D

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's well worth it. Applecross is a lovely little spot, with great views to Skye and a nice pub. Also, just outside Applecross is the only place in Britain where I've seen an adder in the wild - quite apart from the Joy's of the road itself. Been meaning to go back for years.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Thanks Nick... Might blow the dust off the old 2 man tent and see if I end up at the torridon campsite with the dogs and camera gear.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Back in the day, the Applecross campsite had its own restaurant and bakery, but I'm pretty sure they've shut now, and I've seen very mixed reviews of the campsite recently.
    The coastal road is also quite attractive - not that exciting, but great views.

Oh, and the view from the pub beer garden is probably the best pub view in Britain, across Raasay to Skye. Great place to watch the sunset.

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Did the road up to the top of the pass many decades ago with the family. I was driving at the time, the first warning was a big sign forbidding learner drivers from even thinking about the route. At first it seemed OK, a bit windy along the side of the valley, then I saw what looked like a vertical wall of rock, with this little ribbon of road going up, and thinking "Oh, sh....."
    We only went up to the top of the pass, then dad and I walked up over the tops. We had horizontal rain, and haf been blown dry by the time we got back to the car. It was worth it though, as the view was out of "lost world", expected to hear dinosaurs.

Zou likes this.
  8. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Another steep street in Dunedin - View street.

Photo0007s.jpg

9. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I would have thought Clovelly, in north Devon, would be a strong contender with it's road dropping 122m in 0.8km, but vehicles are banned from accessing this cobble-stoned street. All goods from groceries to furniture are transported by sledges which can be seen at the side of the cottages as you walk down through the village to the Harbour. You can however access the village via another route by Land Rover.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That works out as slightly steeper than 1:7. My impression was that it is a fairly constant slope between car park and harbour. I didn't walk the access road to the harbour hotel. That might have steeper bits.

11. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

daft_biker likes this.