1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting out, bridge camera?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Amyc, May 13, 2017.

1. Amyc

Amyc New Member

Hey guys, if someone could give me some advice I'd very much appreciate it. I've been wanting a decent camera for ages and have decided to go for it and buy one. I was thinking of a bridge camera? I have about £200/£300 to spend, I need something not over complicated as I don't want to get put off using it. I'm interested in taking pictures of birds and plants and my children. Can anyone recommend a camera to look at? Many thanks

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Most if not all will have a program mode that will pretty much take care of everything but give you the option of control when you feel you need it. So I think the most important thing is to find a camera that you like the ergonomics of, feels logical and fits the budget... you are right that if the camera is not right for you it will probably sit in a drawer and gather dust.
    You mentioned children, you might want to make sure in a shop before you buy how much shutter lag the camera has, by this I mean the time from when you take the picture until the camera takes the picture... Does this make any sense? the thing is with some brdiges and compact the sutter lag is rather long so I find that for example with my compact the kids have usually left before the picture gets taken.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A bridge camera is good if you want one package that "does everything". As Snorri said they can spend time thinking what to do, which isn't helpful if trying to catch the kids running about, so it is important to beware of this. They are usually specified in terms of tbeir zoom range and these days the game is to make this as big as possible. The important end is the wide angle end as this determines how much you can get in the frame when you have limited room. I don't know what is available in that price range but you want no longer than 28mm equivalent focal length (the focal length is usually compared to what you'd have to use with a film camera to get the same view). I think 24 mm is perfect but they may not go that small. At the other end beware of very big numbers. Once you are beyond 250 mm equivalent (~10x zoom ratio for 24 at the wide end) the quality of result you will get is less both because of economies taken to deliver the price and because it is harder to hold the camera still. Look for a camera with a viewfinder as holding a camera out in front of you to take a picture using the rear screen is also more prone to camera shake. This is another reason to hold one before buying if you can. How it feels in your hand is very important.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Remember Rule 1 at all times: the name of the game is to take lots of pictures that meet your needs. There are very few cameras on the market today that won't produce a good image for internet use or printing to A4. If at all possible go to a branch of Currys or John Lewis to look at and play with the different types before spending your money.

6. Amyc

Amyc New Member

Thanks very much for all your help, some good points there, I'll pop into a store tomorrow and have a look at the different cameras :)

7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Let us know when you have narroved down a shortlist. We would be happy to point out pros and cons, then you can base yoir choice with more information.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

9. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

Hi. Have you chosen your new camera yet? If not, I'd advise you to consider sensor size as well as features.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

As an unlikely but at least slightly possible solution is that you could use what you already have, even a smartphone, to get a good nature/wildlife image and enter AP's and Sony's competition for a Cybershot DSC-RX10 lll. Details at www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/sonyshootout.. If your local country park has ponds or a lake then dragon flies and damsel flies are particularly good at the moment. After a shower even a shiny black slug might make a picture in the right environment.
    The prize is well out of your budget.

11. Tinki

Tinki Member

I'd like to suggest an older generation mirrorless camera like the Sony NEX 5t, Panasonic G5, Olympus e-pm2 or the Fuji X-A1. You may find a great deal on used forums if you're patient. Their sensors are much larger than the ones found in bridge cameras and you can capture much more detail as a result.