1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stabilisation and tripods

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by GeoffR, Jul 29, 2019.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Interesting Letter or the week in AP dated 3 August. Should you turn image stabilisation off when using a tripod, or not? I have to say that the author was right to ignore the "advice" to turn the stabilisation off, and indeed the comment about graduated filters. However, I would say that one should be guided by the camera and/or lens manufacturer. If the manufacturer says switch off or change mode when using a tripod they have probably done the research to support that advice. I've never used my one VR lens on a tripod so I have no idea what, if any, effect it has but before using it on a tripod I would check with Nikon this is what they say: "When the camera is mounted on a tripod there will be very little, if any movement. If the VR function is turned on when used on a tripod, this may result in a reduction in image quality as the VR system attempts to adjust for any slight vibration which will not normally affect the image."
    There is then a list of lenses that can cope wit having VR switched on when using a tripod.

As always, if it works for you, get on with it, there is no "right" way to do things.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite. The earliest Canon IS lenses came with advice to switch it off on a tripod. More recent lenses are auto-sensing, and turn it off where necessary.

Of course if something works for someone, even I'd it flies in the face of manufacturers' instructions, then fine.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Every now and then I forget and leave stabilisation on when using a tripod,I have never noticed any degradation in sharpness. I suspect that in body and lens systems may behave diferently,

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have not used my Canon 40D or it s 17-55 F2.8 in years, But if IS was on when it was on a tripod you could actually see the image drift on the screen.
    So there are definitely cameras and lenses where it would be wise to turn the IS off.
    However I usually forget to do so on my Fuji cameras, and it has never been a problem.
    So it is probably best to follow the particular manufacturers advice especially when doing time exposures.

I think early IS systems suffered from un-corrected Gyroscopic precession.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Since stabilisation systems, in my limited experience*, use rate of movement not angle of movement precession isn't generally a problem. Precession at a rate sufficient to cause the image to drift would be pretty unacceptable in even a child's toy.

*45 years in avionics (autopilots included).

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Taking the 70-200 F2.8 L as an example of early Canon IS, it would probably shake the tripod if left on. It is impressively noisy in action, I think it makes use of the mass of the photographer in keeping the lens elements still.

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

nevertheless visible drift does occur... what ever the cause.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'm not suggesting that it doesn't, and I would be intrigued to know why it happens.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

What I've heard of elsewhere (but not been able to duplicate myself) is a form of self-induced vibration where the stabiliser hunts, inducing vibration in the body, which it then picks up and attempts to compensate for. This supposedly creates a positive feedback loop that gives you shake on the image.

Drifting is something new on me.

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Setting the 2 second self timer on Pentax cameras when mounting the camera on a tripod automatically switches off stabilisation.

11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

On my K-5 it also raises the mirror immediately, to reduce the risk of vibration from its movement remaining when the shutter fires two seconds later. I use this setting with a cable release for long exposure tripod shots.

12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Depends on the age of the lens and what the manufacturer recommends. Newer lens detect a tripod, older ones do not. Even if the recommendation is to turn off IS, in say windy conditions or with a lightweight tripod, leaving IS on may be beneficial. Whatever works for you is best .